Thursday, January 26, 2017

The Disciples Perplexity (John 16:17-19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/26/2017 8:36 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  “The Disciples Perplexity”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 16:17-19

            Message of the verses:  “17 Some of His disciples then said to one another, "What is this thing He is telling us, ’A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me’; and, ’because I go to the Father’?" 18 So they were saying, "What is this that He says, ’A little while’? We do not know what He is talking about." 19 Jesus knew that they wished to question Him, and He said to them, "Are you deliberating together about this, that I said, ’A little while, and you will not see Me, and again a little while, and you will see Me’?”

            I have mentioned in past SD’s that as I use the commentaries from John MacArthur that he rarely takes off a very large chunk of verses at one time, but as we read over these three verses we can see that much of them are a repeat of what we looked at in our last SD from verse 16.  The disciples repeat what Jesus said and then Jesus repeats what the disciples said when He said it in verse 16.

            The last time that we have heard anything from the disciples was back in chapter 14:22 “Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, "Lord, what then has happened that You are going to disclose Yourself to us and not to the world?"”  Now according to verses that we studied in chapter two Jesus knew and continues to know what is on the minds of people including His disciples at this time.  The disciples had been listening to what Jesus was teaching them, but when He got to verse 16 they were startled at what He said and even though they were unwilling to question Him openly, similar to what we read in Mark 9:31-32 “31 For He was teaching His disciples and telling them, "The Son of Man is to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill Him; and when He has been killed, He will rise three days later." 32 But they did not understand this statement, and they were afraid to ask Him.”  Now they may not have asked Him about verse sixteen because of what He had said in verse 12 “12 “I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.”  So what we see here in verse 17 is the disciples talking amongst themselves about what He was saying in verse 16 and this too has happened before when Jesus and His disciples were getting into a boat and the disciples forgot to bring bread.  Jesus was talking about the “leaven” in the Pharisees.  Mt 16:6 “And Jesus said to them, "Watch out and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees."”  “7 They began to discuss this among themselves, saying, "He said that because we did not bring any bread."”

            The disciples were having a difficult time in thinking that Jesus was about to die and this was why they began to talk about what Jesus had said in verse 16 and they were bewildered.  MacArthur writes “Adding to their confusion was the Lord’s statement ‘because I go to the Father’ (cf. vv. 5, 10; 7:33; 14:12, 28), seemed contradictory.  The nineteenth-century Swiss commentator Frederic Louis Godet aptly summarized the disciples’ perplexity:  ‘Where for us all is clear, for them all was mysterious.  If Jesus wishes to found the Messianic kingdom, why go away?  If He does not wish it, why return?’”

            We mentioned that Jesus knows what is in the minds of all men and this was certainly no exception and what Jesus did was typically what Jesus did and that was bring comfort to His disciples by answering their unasked questions. He may have been doing was we read from Isaiah’s book “"It will also come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear (Isa. 65:24).”

            I have mentioned before how much I am amazed by what our Lord was doing hours before His certain death and separation from His Father and His Father pours out on Him payment for all sins ever done from the beginning of time to the end of the millennial kingdom.  Jesus died a death that believers never have to die, for Jesus died a death that paid the price for our sins and so when a believer dies that are absent from the body, but present with the Lord in an instant.  Jesus knew that in a few hours that the enemies of God would be spitting on Him, beating Him, placing a crown of thrones on His head, nailing His hands and feet to a cross, and yet Jesus was comforting His disciples even thought He knew what was about to happen to Him.  In a few more verses Jesus will be done instructing His disciples and then in John’s gospel we will see Him praying to His Father and I have to say that I have read that this is not the prayer that He was praying when He sweat drops of blood and frankly I do not know exactly what the timeline was during those last hours before He was arrested.  I also have to say that that will bug me until I get an answer that I can accept, but I believe what God wants me to learn about this that He will teach me, or perhaps not as maybe this is not important for me to know.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am so thankful that the God I worship knows all things that are on my heart all of the time even though I am ashamed at times what is on my heart and in my mind it is still comforting to me to know He knows.  Also I am comforted by the comfort that my God gives to me when I need it as He did for His disciples in a moment when the soul of Him was very troubled.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord of comfort to continue to teach me as I study His Word each day.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Hyssop” (Exodus 12:22).

Today’s Bible question:  “Paul taught us that we should abstain from all appearance of what?”

Answer in our next SD.

1/26/2017 9:13 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment