Tuesday, January 16, 2024

PT-3 "The Sign in the Sky" (Matt. 24:30a)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/16/2024 8:12 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                    Focus:  PT-3 “The Sign in the Sky”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 24:30a

 

            Message of the verse:30 "And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in the sky, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the SON OF MAN COMING ON THE CLOUDS OF THE SKY”

 

            Jesus is saying in this second highlighted portion of verse thirty all the tribes of the earth will mourn.  They will be mourning over their sin realizing that they will be lost forever, that is the ones who did not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.  I think that perhaps believers will also be mourning over their sin too because they are seeing the Lord at this time with their very own eyes.  I am thinking about the prophet Isaiah and what happened when in a vision He saw the Lord “1 In the year of King Uzziah’s death I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, lofty and exalted, with the train of His robe filling the temple. 2 Seraphim stood above Him, each having six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. 3 And one called out to another and said, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts, The whole earth is full of His glory." 4 And the foundations of the thresholds trembled at the voice of him who called out, while the temple was filling with smoke.

    5 Then I said, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, And I live among a people of unclean lips; For my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." 6 Then one of the seraphim flew to me with a burning coal in his hand, which he had taken from the altar with tongs. 7 He touched my mouth with it and said, "Behold, this has touched your lips; and your iniquity is taken away and your sin is forgiven." 8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?" Then I said, "Here am I. Send me! (Isaiah 6:1-8).  Isaiah was surely a believer, but in seeing the Lord when he did caused him to remember his sin and cry out "Woe is me, for I am ruined!  Now think also of John the Apostle who lived with the Lord Jesus Christ for three years, who was the disciple that Jesus truly loved, and then in the first chapter of the book of Revelation when he saw the Lord, “17 When I saw Him, I fell at His feet like a dead man. And He placed His right hand on me, saying, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, 18  and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades” (Rev. 1:17-18).  John had seen the Lord after His resurrection, saw Him as He went up into the clouds to return to heaven, but he had never seen the Lord like this, and when he did see Him he fell at His feet like a dead man.”  We in our human bodies cannot really understand what the Lord looks like, and so we have these two examples of Isaiah and John seeing the Lord in at least part of His glory and look what happened to them.  Moses is another one who wanted to see the glory of the Lord, but in his human body it would have killed him, and so the Lord put him in the cleft of a rock and passed by behind him so that he would live, and then on the Mount of Transfiguration Moses was with the Lord along with Elijah and they both could look upon the Lord for they were in a type of glorified body themselves.

 

            John MacArthur writes “There will be some from all the tribes of the earth who will mourn over their rebellion against God and their rejection of His Son.  Having heard the gospel proclaimed (v. 14; Rev. 14:6), those people will turn from and mourn over their sin and receive Christ as Lord and Savior.”  It seems that MacArthur has some more things to say about those who will see the Lord at His coming, as I was thinking more about those who were believers than unbelievers, and I have to say that I am not in complete agreement with what he wrote, for I was thinking about the scene in Revelation 19 when those who see the return of the Lord to planet earth begin to fight against Him, so perhaps MacArthur is describing a different time.

 

            I will conclude this SD with a rather long paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary.  “Among the repentant will be many Jews.  Through Zechariah the Lord promised His people: ‘And I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him, like the bitter weeping over a first-born.  In that day there will be great mourning in Jerusalem (Zech. 12:10-11).  Having realized that they have rejected their Messiah, they will turn to Him in faith, casting themselves on His mercy.  At that time the ‘the fulness of the Gentiles [will have] come in; and thus all Israel will be saved; just as it is from Jacob’’’ (Rom. 11:25-26; cf. Isa. 59:20).”

 

1/16/2024 8:50 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment