Saturday, January 27, 2024

An Unpresented Alteration (Matt. 24:35b)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/27/2024 7:15 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                             Focus:  “An Unprecedented Alteration”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 24:35a

 

            Message of the verse:  “Heaven and earth will pass away”

 

            This SD will be very short as it is Saturday, and my wife and I have been on vacation in Maui, Hawaii for a few weeks staying at her sister’s house as she and her husband are in Antarctica on a vacation.

 

            I have to say that studying the prophetic sections of the Bible is something that I truly enjoy doing.  On my other blog where I publish things that I have written earlier I am posting my study of the book of Daniel, and at home in our Sunday school I am teaching through the book of Zechariah.  I have mentioned that it was through the end-time prophecies that the Lord got my attention and used them to draw myself to Him 50 years ago yesterday to which I am eternally grateful.  As many of you know on my blog that I am writing to at this time I am studying the book of Matthew and am in my fifth year of studying it and it just so happens that I am in the 24th chapter of the book of Matthew which along with chapter 25 are what is called “The Olivet Discourse” and the reason is that the Lord Jesus Christ is talking to His disciples on the Mount of Olives and the things that He is teaching them, and us as to do with the end times of what is called the Tribulation period.  I think that it is best because of the shortness of what is found in MacArthur’s commentary on this partial verse that I just quote what he has written. 

 

            “Jesus says explicitly that both heaven and earth will pass away.  That expression first appears in 5:18, where it is not primarily used as a prophecy but as an analogy to express the enduring quality of the Word of God.  It is used similarly in this text.  The universe will fail, but what Jesus has just said will not fail to come to complete fulfillment.  That analogical use of this phrase does not, however, preclude a directly prophetic intent.  It is clearly predicted in the Old and New Testaments that the universe will be dramatically affected in the divine judgment of God.  But that even will occur a thousand years after the return of Christ, when heaven and earth as we now know them will cease to exist (ct. 2 Peter 3:10; Rev. 21:1).”

 

            I want to look at these two verses and then comment on the one from 2 Peter 3:10. 

 

10 But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a roar and the elements will be destroyed with intense heat, and the earth and its works will be burned up (2 Pet. 3:10).

 

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and the first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea (Rev. 21:1).

 

            I want to focus in on the word “elements” in 2 Peter 3:10 and look at its meaning in the Greek and how this Greek word is pronounced as seen in the Strongs concordance.

 

4747 στοιχεῖον stoicheion stoy-khi’-on

 

1) any first thing, from which the others belonging to some series or composite whole take their rise, an element, first principal e.g. the elements, rudiments, primary and fundamental principles of any art, science, or discipline {He 5:12 }

1a) the elements of religious training, or the cermonial precepts common alike to the worship of the Jews and of the Gentiles {Ga 4:3,9 }

1b) the ceremonial requirements esp. of the Jewish tradition, minutely set forth by theophists and false teachers, and fortified by specious arguments {Col 2:8,20 }

1c) the principles and practices of the old covanent world order {2Pe 3:10,12 }

 

I have mentioned that I was searching for how this world would end when the Lord Jesus Christ saved me.  One of the things that I learned very early on in my study of the Word of God comes from this word “stoy-khin’on” and the term that I learned was similar to what is found in Strongs.  Basic building block is how I was taught what this word meant and then was told that the basic building block of the universe is the “atom.”  Then I was taught that no one knows how the atom is held together, and the way that it was explained to me came from an example of a magnet.  You put a north and south part of the magnet together and they stick together, even jump to be able to touch each other.  You put two North’s or two South’s together and the repel.  That is what I was told are in the inside of the “atom” and that is why no one knows what hold the atom together.  When these elements “atoms” are let loose as seen in 2 Peter 3:10 then the universe will be like one very large atomic bomb and it will burn up.

 

1/27/2024 7:53 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment