Tuesday, April 21, 2020

PT-2 "The Manifestation of Meekness" (Matt. 5:5)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/21/2020 11:12 AM

My Worship Time                                                 Focus:  PT-2 “The Manifestation of Meekness”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:5

            Message of the verse:  5 "Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.”

            We continue to look at stories from the Word of God to show us the manifestation of meekness and in today’s SD we begin with a story about David that comes from the book of 1 Samuel 24:1-8.  We will look first at the verses and then we will comment on it for a bit.  “1 Now when Saul returned from pursuing the Philistines, he was told, saying, "Behold, David is in the wilderness of Engedi." 2 Then Saul took three thousand chosen men from all Israel and went to seek David and his men in front of the Rocks of the Wild Goats. 3 He came to the sheepfolds on the way, where there was a cave; and Saul went in to relieve himself. Now David and his men were sitting in the inner recesses of the cave. 4 The men of David said to him, "Behold, this is the day of which the LORD said to you, ’Behold; I am about to give your enemy into your hand, and you shall do to him as it seems good to you.’" Then David arose and cut off the edge of Saul’s robe secretly. 5 It came about afterward that David’s conscience bothered him because he had cut off the edge of Saul’s robe. 6 So he said to his men, "Far be it from me because of the LORD that I should do this thing to my lord, the LORD’S anointed, to stretch out my hand against him, since he is the LORD’S anointed." 7 David persuaded his men with these words and did not allow them to rise up against Saul. And Saul arose, left the cave, and went on his way. 8 Now afterward David arose and went out of the cave and called after Saul, saying, "My lord the king!" And when Saul looked behind him, David bowed with his face to the ground and prostrated himself.”  David was a young man that God had chosen to be King of Israel and after going to work for Saul, Saul tried to kill him on different occasions.  The meekness of David that I see here is that David had the power to kill Saul, but it was not going to bring glory to the Lord as Saul was still the Lord’s anointed. 

            We have a contrast in meekness from the story of King Uzziah who began to reign at the age of 16 years old and he did right in the sight of the Lord.  When he got to be older he became very proud at all of the victories that God had given him and decided to offer a sacrifice inside the temple, something that only priests could do.  God caused him to become a leper and had to live outside of the king’s palace the rest of his life.

            As far as looking at the NT stories of meekness we know that the greatest stories come about our Lord Jesus Christ whose meekness, (power under control) is seen in different parts of the gospel, especially during the time He would be crucified.

            Let us look at the life of Paul who was also a person who was meek.  When it came to education Paul was the most educated of all of the apostles, and the one according to John MacArthur was used most widely and effectively.  Paul refused to put any confidence in himself that is “in the flesh” according to Phil. 3:3.  Paul knew that he could do all things, but only “through Him who strengthens me” (Phil. 4:13). 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  These stories of the meekness of people from both the Old and New Testaments show me exactly what I am learning from the beatitudes, and that is that I cannot do things that please the Lord in my own strength, but must rely upon the power of the Spirit of God who came to live within me when I became a believer.  The first beatitude gives the groundwork, and that is I am “poor in spirit,” then I am to mourn over sin, and now I am to be meek, have power under control, and to stand up for my God so He receives glory.

My Steps of Faith for Today: To continue to trust the Lord for grace in order to learn more about contentment, humility, and to give me joy as I study His Word.



           

No comments:

Post a Comment