Thursday, April 30, 2020

The Testing of Spiritual Hunger (Matt. 5:6)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/30/2020 11:24 AM

My Worship Time                                                           Focus:  The Testing of Spiritual Hunger”

My Worship Time                                                                              Reference:  Matthew 5:6

            Message of the verse:  6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.”

            In this Spiritual Diary we will look at five marks of genuine hunger and thirst for God’s righteousness.

1.     Dissatisfaction of self:  I suppose an example of the opposite of this quality can be seen from the Pharisees as they truly loved their own righteousness and thought that they were on their way to heaven because of their own righteousness.  Believers realize that we need the righteousness of Jesus Christ in order to have a relationship with the Lord.  Thomas Watson wrote “He has most need of righteousness that least wants it.”  Paul wrote in Romans 7:24 “Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?”
2.     The second mark of genuine hunger and thirst for God’s righteousness is freedom from dependence on external things for satisfaction.  Perhaps the things that are going on in our country and also around the world has showed us that we don’t need all the things that we thought we needed.  I remember a story from John MacArthur’s sermon on this subject about someone he knew that was a house builder in Colorado.  The story was there was a natural disaster which destroyed many homes of considerable value.  Since his friend was a builder he began to rebuild the homes for people.  One thing that may be strange was that not one of the people he was building for missed their old homes because the consensuses was that none of them missed the “things” that were in their old homes.  John MacArthur writes “Neither can anything but God’s own righteousness satisfy the person who has true spiritual hunger and thirst.”
3.     The third is craving for the Word of God, which is the basis spiritual food that He provides for His children.  I suppose that no one has had to beg a hungry man to eat.  Think about the story of Jacob and Esau found in Genesis 26:29-34.  Let us look at Jeremiah 15:16 “Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.”  MacArthur adds “The more we seek God’s righteousness, the more we want to devour Scripture.  Feeding on God’s Word increases our appetite for it.”
4.     Fourth is the pleasantness of the things of God.  First we will look at Proverbs 27:7 “A sated man loathes honey, But to a famished man any bitter thing is sweet (NASB).  “When you’ve stuffed yourself, you refuse dessert; when you’re starved, you could eat a horse” (Message).  “A person who is full refuses honey,  but even bitter food tastes sweet to the hungry”(NLT).  I realize that this may be kind of a strange verse but let us look at it from a spiritual way.  The believer who seeks God’s righteousness above all other things will find great fulfillment and also satisfaction even in those things that humanly are disastrous.  Again we look at a quote from Puritan Thomas Watson who comments that “the one who hungers and thirst after righteousness can feed on the myrrh of the gospel as well as the honey.”  MacArthur notes “even the Lord’s reproofs and discipline bring satisfaction, because they are sings of our Father’s love.  ‘Ro those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives’ (Heb. 12:6).”
5.     This is the final mark of true spiritual hunger and is unconditionally.  When a believer’s hunger and thirst are genuine then they will make no conditions; as they will seek and accept God’s righteousness in whatever way that He chooses to provide it, and thus will obey His commands no matter how demanding they may be.  MacArthur adds “The least of God’s righteousness is more valuable than the greatest of anything we posses in ourselves or that the world can offer.”  The story of the rich young ruler tells us that he wanted only the part of God’s kingdom that fit his own plans and also his desires, so this made him unfit for the Kingdom of God.  This young ruler thirsted more for other things than for the things of God, his desires were not unconditional.

            John MacArthur concludes this section and this chapter by writing “The spiritually hungry do not ask for Christ and economic success, Christ and personal satisfaction, Christ and popularity, or Christ and anything else.  The want only Christ and what God in His wisdom and love sovereignly provides through Christ—whatever that may or may not be.”

            We will end by looking at two verses which help us understand the spiritually hungry cry:  My soul is crushed with longing After Your ordinances at all times” (Ps. 119:20).  “At night my soul longs for You, Indeed, my spirit within me seeks You diligently” (Isa. 26:9).

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  One of the things that I have issues is where I am living as I have lived in Northeast Ohio all of my life and the weather is not something that I like at all.  I know that at this time in my life that this is where God wants me, so I will have to trust the Lord to give me the grace to stay where He has planted me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Grace to learn contentment, humility, and joy in the Word of God.

4/30/2020 12:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment