Thursday, April 9, 2020

PT-4 "Godly Mourning" (Matt. 5:4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/9/2020 10:42 AM

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  PT-4 “Godly Mourning”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:4

            Message of the verses:  4 ‘Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.’”

            I have to say that many times the Lord will speak to my heart in the early hours of the morning and that is what happened this morning.  I was reminded of the seventh chapter of the book of Romans, a chapter that I have mentioned in earlier SD’s.  I have mentioned that the great Apostle Paul was having trouble in his walk with the Lord, doing the things that he did not want to do, and not doing the things that he wanted to do.  I was told in a sermon by John MacArthur that because of the way the Greek verbs are in this section that this continued in the life of the Apostle Paul.  I have to say that I know what he was going through and I would have to believe that this goes on with all true believers.  I don’t believe that Paul was not mourning over the sins that he was struggling with but he was just having trouble with certain sins.  I have mentioned that there are different “lists” found in the NT such as found in the book of Galatians with different sins mentioned on these lists.  I truly believe that in the lives of believers that certain things on these lists can be a problem, and certain things on these lists are not a problem.  I say all of this because of the difficulty that I have been having with the section we are in about mourning, that is Godly mourning.   We will now continue with this section at this time.

            I have to admit that there are times, far too many times when I laugh at the world’s crude and immoral jokes, but I don’t retell those jokes.  MacArthur writes “when we are entertained by sin even though we do not indulge in it, when we smile at ungodly talk even though we don’t repeat the words” we know that this is not right in fact it is sinful.  “To joke about divorce to make light of brutality, to be intrigued by sexual immorality is to rejoice when we should be mourning, to be laughing when we should be crying. To ‘rejoice in the perversity of evil’ is placed along side ‘delight in doing evil’ (Prov. 2:14).  To take ‘pleasure in wickedness’ (2 Thess. 2:12) is to be a part of the wickedness, whether or not we commit the specific sin.”

            As believers who belong to a Bible believing church we should never make fun of the things that are taught in the church, especially to any unbelievers.

            Proverbs 17:22 has something to say about how the Bible recognizes a proper sense of humor, that is humor that is not at the expense of God’s name, God’s Word, God’s church, or any person except perhaps ourselves: A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones.”  “A cheerful disposition is good for your health; gloom and doom leave you bone-tired” (Message).  “A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit saps a person’s strength” (NLT).

            The following paragraph gives us several ways that we can react to our spiritual bankruptcy.  The Pharisees denied their spiritual destitution and pretended that they were spiritually rich.  Like monastics and advocates of moral rearmament, we can admit our condition and try to change it our own way, in our own power, by our own efforts.  We can admit our condition and then despair over it to such a degree that we try to drown it perhaps in drink or perhaps using drugs, or perhaps by activity, or give up completely and commit suicide like Judas did.  MacArthur adds “Because they can find no answer in themselves or in the world, these people conclude that there is no answer.  Or, like the prodigal son, we can admit our condition, mourn over it, and turn to the heavenly Father to remedy our poverty (Luke 15:11-32).”

            Perhaps this quote will help us with some answers:  “Mourn over sin is not being engulfed in despair.  Even the person who has been severely disciplined by the church should be forgiven, comforted, and loved, ‘lest somehow such a one be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow’ (2 Cor. 2:7-8).  Nor is godly mourning wallowing in self-pity and false humility, which are really badges of pride.

            “True mourning over sin does not focus on ourselves, not even on our sin.  It focuses on God, who alone can forgive and remove our sin.  It is an attitude that begins when we enter the kingdom and lasts as long as we are on earth.  It is the attitude of Romans 7.  Contrary to some popular interpretation, Paul is not here speaking simply about his former condition.  The problems of chapter 7 were not one-time experiences that were completely replaced by the victories of chapter 8.  The apostle clearly says, ‘For that which I am doing I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but am doing the very thing I hate’ (7:15).  Here he uses the present tense, as he does throughout the rest of the chapter:  ‘For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh;…for the good that I wish, I do not do; but I practice the very evil that I do not wish’ (vv. 18-19); ‘I am!...So the, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin’ (vv. 24-25).

            “Paul wrote those words at the height of his ministry.  Yet righteousness and sin were still fighting a battle in his life.  As he acknowledges in verse 25, the way of victory is ‘through Jesus Christ our Lord,’ but the rest of the verse makes clear that, at that time, the victory was not yet complete.  He knew where the victory was, and he had tasted the victory many times.  But he knew that, in this life, it is never a permanent victory.  The presence of the flesh sees to that.  Permanent victory is assured to us now, but it is not given to us now.”

            After reading and quoting this section from John MacArthur I know where I heard this truth from, as it was in the sermon that he had on this second beatitude.  I am thankful to the Lord for bringing this truth to my mind early this morning, and for reaffirming it with this quotation.  PTL.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that God is not done with me yet, and that permanent victory is assured to me now, but is not given to my now. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to be taught humility, contentment, and to have joy in my study of God’s Word.

4/9/2020 11:33 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment