Tuesday, April 28, 2020

"The Object of Spiritual Hunger" (Matt. 5:6)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/28/2020 10:04 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  “The Object of Spiritual Hunger”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Matthew 5:6

            Message of the verse:  “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied” (ESV).

            As we begin this SD I want to again quote a small paragraph from John MacArthur and then we will move onto looking at “The Object of Spiritual Hunger for Salvation, and then for Sanctification.”

            “As with the other beatitudes, the goal of hungering and thirsting for righteousness is twofold.  For the unbeliever the goal is salvation; for the believer it is sanctification.”

For Salvation

            As I look back at the road that I traveled to get to the point where the Lord saved me I can think of a number of things that God was doing in my heart from the time that I was a young boy to the time when I finally received Christ as my Savior.  I think that as I look back at those times that I had a hunger and thirst for righteousness, and what I was seeking was actually salvation, which is the righteousness that comes when I would turn from sin and submit to the lordship of Jesus Christ, which actually came after I was saved.  Speaking of the lordship of Jesus Christ, I do believe that every person who is a true believer will end up submitting to His lordship, and in my case I first of all accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and then later on in my walk with the Lord I knew that He was my Lord, the One who I would follow. 

            It was in poverty of spirit that I saw my sin, and the sin that God used to get my attention was swearing, something that I knew was sinful and that offended the Lord.  One can probably follow the route of the beatitudes to see coming to the Lord Jesus Christ as becoming one’s Savior as one must be poor in spirit to see their sin, and then in mourning one will lament over that sin and turn from it, and then in meekness one submits their own sinful way and power to God, and now in hunger and thirst one seeks God’s righteousness in Christ to replace their sin.

            We will look at some OT passages where righteousness is used as a synonym for salvation.  Isaiah 51:5 “"My righteousness is near, My salvation has gone forth, And My arms will judge the peoples; The coastlands will wait for Me, And for My arm they will wait expectantly.”  Note:  When one looks at the book of Isaiah one must remember that the first 39 chapters are like the OT, and then the last 27 chapters are more like what is going on in the NT as Isaiah talks a lot about the Messiah.  It has been said that Isaiah is a miniature Bible.  Daniel wrote of the time when “"Those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever” (Dan. 12:3). 

            There must come a time when a person abandons all hope of saving themselves, abandon all hope in self-righteousness, and then he begins to hunger for the salvation that brings God’s righteousness and also the obedience that God requires, then he will be “blessed,” to be made divinely happy.

            As one looks at the people of Israel back when Christ was on the earth, and continue to look at them from that point to today the biggest obstacle to receiving the gospel was their self-righteousness, their confidence in their own purity and holiness, which they imagined was created by good works.  I have to say that this is the problem with many people and the religions that they follow today.  MacArthur writes “Because they (the Jews) were God’s chosen race, and as keepers of the law—or, more often, keepers of men’s interpretations of the law—the felt heaven was assured.” 

            Jesus, their Messiah told them, however that the only way to salvation was by having a hunger and a thirst for God’s righteousness to replace their own self-righteousness, which in fact was really unrighteousness.

For Sanctification

            Now we move onto looking at the object of spiritual hunger for believers and this is a part of the sanctification process of all believers, for the object of hungering and thirsting is to grow in the righteousness that believers received when they trusted Christ. 

            We have written about sanctification in earlier SD’s and stated that once we become a believer that we are sanctified, and while on earth growing more like Christ we are being sanctified, and then once we get to heaven we will be totally sanctified.   We are not perfect while on earth but we are perfect in God’s eyes because of the fact that we are “in Christ,” and God sees the righteousness of Jesus Christ when He looks at believers here on earth.  MacArthur writes “Children of the kingdom never stop needing or hungering for more of God’s righteousness and holiness to be manifest in them through their obedience.  Paul prayed for believers in Philippi that their love might ‘abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ’ (Phil. 1:9-10).

            This may seem strange to some who read this but I have said that I listen to the sermons that John MacArthur preaches and on this particular sermon I remember hearing about different verbs in the Greek language, and the strange thing is that I had a vivid dream about these verbs.  I think that this is important enough that I want to quote four paragraphs here from John MacArthur’s commentary that talk about Greek verbs.  I hope that not many of you will dream about this, but if you do that’s ok too.

            “In the Greek language, verbs such as hunger and thirst normally have objects that are in the partitive genitive, a case that indicates incompleteness, or partialness.  A literal English rendering would be:  ‘I hunger for of food’ or ‘I thirst for of water.’  The idea is that a person only hungers for some food and some water, not far all the food and water in the world.

            “But Jesus does not here use the partitive genitive but the accusative, and ‘righteousness’ is therefore the unqualified and unlimited object of ‘hunger and thirst.’  The Lord identifies those who desire all the righteousness there is (cf. Matt. 5:48; 1 Peter 1:15-16).

            “Jesus also uses the definite article 9ten), indicating that He is not speaking of just any righteousness, but the righteousness, the only true righteousness—that which comes from God and, in fact, is God’s very own righteousness which He has in Himself.

            “It becomes obvious, then, that we cannot possibly have our longing for godliness satisfied in this life, so we are left to continually hunger and thirst until the day we are clothed entirely in Christ’s righteousness.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have known for a very long time that I am clothed in the righteousness of my Lord, and yet today as I looked at this truth again it had new meaning for me to think that the righteousness that I posses is just like God’s righteousness. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to realize that I am poor in spirit and therefore I desire the Lord to teach me contentment, humility, and also to continue to give me joy as I study His wonderful Word each day.

4/28/2020 11:04 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment