Monday, April 13, 2020

Study God's Word and Pray (Matt. 5:4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/13/2020 10:01 AM

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  Study God’s Word; Pray

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:4

            Message of the verse:  4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”

            I is my desire to look at two sub-sections to help us learn more about godly mourning, and the first one is to study God’s Word about sin in order to learn what an evil and repulsive thing it is to God and what a destructive and damning thing it is to us.  David teaches us in Psalm 51:3 “For I know my transgressions, And my sin is ever before me.”  Next from Isaiah 6:5 we read “Woe to me, for I am ruined!  Because I am a man of unclean lips,” and Peter tells us “I am a sinful man” (Luke 5:8).  Then from Paul to confess that we are the chief of sinners as seen in 1 Timothy 1:15.  MacArthur writes “As we hear those great men of God talking about their sin, we are forced to face the reality and the depth of our own.”

            He continues to write that “Sin tramples on God’s laws, makes light of His love, grieves His Spirit, spurns His forgiveness and blessing, and in every way resists His grace.  Sin makes us weak and makes us impure.  It robs us of comfort and, much more importantly, robs God of glory.”

            We now conclude our short SD for today as we look at the third step toward godly mourning and that is to pray.  We are to pray for contriteness of heart, which only God can give and which He never refuses to give those who ask Him.  “We must always recognize that humility depends on the working of the Lord.  The way to godly mourning lies not in pre-salvation human works, but in God’s saving grace.”

            In our SD for tomorrow we will look at the last main section entitled “How to Know If We Are Mourning as Christ Commands.”  After that, Lord willing we will move onto verse five “5 Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.”  This verse speaks of meekness.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  “We must always recognize that humility depends on the working of the Lord.”  I cannot be humble unless the Lord works in my heart to teach me humility.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To learn humility and contentment from the Lord, and to receive joy from the Holy Spirit as I study His Word.

4/13/2020 10:19 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment