Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Result of Spiritual Hunger (Matt. 5:6)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/29/2020 9:26 AM

My Worship Time                                                           Focus:  “The Result of Spiritual Hunger”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Matthew 5:6

            Message of the verse:  6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, because they will be filled” (HCSB).

            In our SD from yesterday we looked at the object of spiritual hunger and now today we want to look at the results of spiritual hunger.  I will now quote from the NLT for verse six and I think that you will see the result of hungering and thirsting for righteousness:  6 God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied.”  The highlighted portion of verse six from the NLT is the answer to the question of what the result of spiritual hunger is.  John MacArthur writes “Chortazo was frequently used of the feeding of animals until they wanted nothing more.  They were allowed to eat until they were completely satisfied.”

            What Jesus’ pronouncement is that those who do hunger and thirst for righteousness will be given total satisfaction.  It is God’s work in the giving of satisfaction, as MacArthur writes “as the future passive tense indicates:  ‘they will be satisfied.’  Our part is to seek; His part is to satisfy.”

            Now we have been talking about paradoxes in a few of our SD’s on the beatitudes and we will see one here because though saints continually seek God’s righteousness, always wanting more, and never getting all, thus they nevertheless will be satisfied.  I suppose that Moses was satisfied when the Lord put in the cleft of the rock and allowed His glory to pass by the backside of Moses, which is something that Moses desired for a long time.  The word “suppose” may not be correct as perhaps it was Moses’ desire to see God’s glory with his eyes, yet that would certainly have killed him.  Moses now has the opportunity to see God’s glory in heaven as all true believers will someday too.  Think about something that you truly love to eat, perhaps a Thanksgiving day meal with all of the trimmings and then a great desert.  You feast on it and yet afterwards when you are hungry again you still want more.  It is the very satisfaction that makes us want more.  We want to eat more of those things because they are satisfying.  Now the person who hungers and thirst for God’s righteousness finds it so satisfying that he wants more and more.

            The Psalms are full of God’s satisfying those who seek and love Him and we want to look at a few at this time.  For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good” (Ps. 107:9).  “The young lions do lack and suffer hunger; But they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing” (Ps. 34:10).  “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want…You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows” (Ps. 23:1, 5).

            In the book of Jeremiah he predicts the great blessing of Christ’s millennial kingdom as he assured Israel that in that day “I will fill the soul of the priests with abundance, And My people will be satisfied with My goodness," declares the LORD” (Jer. 31:14).  In the NT book of John and the fourth chapter Jesus tells the Samaritan woman at the well in Sychar that “but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.’”  Again in John’s gospel and this time in 6:35 Jesus will tell many of those who had eaten the bread and fish through His miracle the following “"I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.”  We see in these two metaphors total satisfaction from water and from bread which both speak of what Jesus gives to His children.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I learned in this section that I am to desire to be hungry and thirsty for righteous and then it is God who will make me satisfied. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To hunger and thirst for righteousness, to have the Lord give me contentment, humility and joy as I study His Word.



No comments:

Post a Comment