Monday, March 11, 2024

PT-2 "The Reckoning We Face" (Matt. 25:19-27)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/11/2024 10:29 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                             Focus: PT-2 “The Reckoning We Face”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 25:19-27

 

            Message of the verses:  19 "Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20  "The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 "Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 ‘And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ 26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 ‘Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.”

 

            We continue looking at these verses in today’s SD, and begin with what is said in verse 19 where we read “the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them.”  I suppose that this could sound kind of scary if what was done for the master was not something that he wanted to hear about.  The first slave stated “‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’”  Nothing to be frightened about from this first slave, but we must understand that the man was not boasting but simply relating the truth of the matter.  Also there is no hint of pride or self-congratulation from this first slave.  This slave knew that everything he started with had been entrusted to him by his master, and he had only done what he should have done with what his master entrusted him to do.  I think that because we are talking about money here that it can tend to make us think that it is more important that say if the master had put this slave in charge of perhaps some animals and not there would be a very large amount of animals because the slave was doing his job.  MacArthur writes “He exhibited the attitude Jesus said every obedient disciple should have:  “When you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done’” (Luke 17:10).”

 

            I want to now quote from 2 Timothy 4:6-8, which is the last letter that the Apostle Paul wrote that is found in the Word of God, so this means that it was written very near the end of Paul’s life.  “6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; 8 in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.”  Now as we read this we can see that Paul was not boasting but simply expressing a deep sense of fulfillment and rejoicing.  He was confident the Lord knew the integrity of his heart and would be faithful to reward him according to His gracious promises.  These verses in 2 Timothy are very similar to what is going on with the first two slaves in Matthew 25.

 

            John MacArthur writes “When the master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave,’ he was commending the slave’s attitude more than just his accomplishment.  He first of all commended the mans excellent character, which expressed itself in excellent service.”

 

            Now I have mentioned that this man, the master represents the Lord Himself when He returns in glory and power to establish His kingdom, and it is remarkable to contemplate that the holy, just, and perfect Lord of the universe will deign to praise His true disciples for their faithfulness, which is imperfect as it will have been.  I have to say that the word “GRACE” fits in here.  So this then is the glorious prospect of every child of God who, like Paul, loves Christ’s appearing (2 Tim. 4:8).

 

            Next we see that not only did the master bring high praises to his slave, but he also highly rewarded him as he said, “You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things.” 

 

            The “Lord will entrust greater earthly tasks to those who prove themselves faithful, but their heavenly reward will be opportunity for greater service to Him throughout eternity” writes John MacArthur.  He goes on to write “Christ’s faithful servants living on earth when He returns will enter into the millennial kingdom in their same earthly bodies and will be given responsibilities commensurate with their previous faithfulness.   Believers who have died or been raptured will come to earth with the Lord in their glorified bodies, and they, too, will be given rulership in proportion to their faithfulness to God while they lived on earth.  Both in the millennial and eternal manifestations of the kingdom, those who have been faithful on earth will be put…in charge of many things much greater in significance than the few things over which they previously were faithful stewards.”  Now you may remember that a few SD’s ago I mentioned that my former Pastor who is now with the Lord said that when he came back to earth with the Lord that he said he wanted to be the mayor of North Olmsted, Ohio where he lived at.

 

3/11/2024 11:01 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment