Friday, March 15, 2024

PT-6 "The Reckoning We Face" (Matt. 25:19-27)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/15/2024 10:52 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                            Focus:  PT-6 “The Reckoning We Face”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 25:19-27

 

            Message of the verses:  19 "Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20  "The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 "Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 ‘And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ 26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 ‘Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.”

 

            I mentioned that when we started this section six days ago that it would take us a while to get through it, and I suppose that we will have two more Spiritual Diaries on this rather long section of Scripture.

 

            Here is the response that the master gave to this unfaithful slave as found in verses 26b-27 “‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 ‘Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.”

 

            I have to admit that when I first looked at this parable that I did not come up with this conclusion, but after thinking about it for some time, and after listening to MacArthur’s sermon  I understand that because it was the Lord who said this to this slave that it is true, as the slave was wicked in that he unjustly corrupted the character of his master.  You also see that he was lazy in that he did nothing with the talents that were entrusted to him.  Notice that the master repeated the slave’s charges against him, the master did not acknowledge what he was saying was true, but he rather said, in effect:  “You think I am a hard man, do you, harvesting crops that do not belong to me?  If you really thought that, why did you not take the talent and put it in the bank where at least I would have got some interest?”

 

            To understand this I will quote a paragraph from MacArthur’s commentary.  “The ancient Roman Empire had a banking system that was in many respects like those of modern times.  The maximum loan rate was 12 percent simple interest, and the interest earned on deposits was probably about half that rate.  The slave with the one talent therefore could have reaped at least a 6 percent return by making virtually no effort at all.  The fact that he did not attempt even to earn simple interest on the money confirmed his total irresponsibility and his indifference to the master.”

 

            It is like the master saying to his slave about what his slave said to him about being a hard man:  “If you thought I demanded a return even on that which does not belong to me did you think I would not require a return on that which does belong to me?”  Of course the answer is no and it seems that the slave used his own rope to hang himself.

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Once again I have to go back to what I said about taking the time to study the Word of God in order to understand who God is.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Learn more about who God is by thinking and studying about him.

 

3/15/2024 11:11 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment