Saturday, March 16, 2024

PT-7 "The Reckoning We Face" (Matt. 25:19-27)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/16/2024 10:52 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                            Focus:  PT-7 “The Reckoning We Face”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Matthew 25:19-27

 

            Message of the verses:  19 "Now after a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them. 20  "The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, ‘Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.’ 21 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 "Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, ‘Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.’ 23 “His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.’ 24 “And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed. 25 ‘And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.’ 26 “But his master answered and said to him, ‘You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed. 27 ‘Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.”

 

            I want to continue writing about this last slave, the slave that did not do his master’s will, the slave that as we look deeper into this parable was not a true believer.  MacArthur writes “The truth of the matter was that the slave had no real concern for his master one way or the other, and his excuse seems to have been more spur of the moment than planned.   He did not expect the master’s return and did not expect to be held accountable, and when he was caught by surprise he simply threw out an outrageous charge that made no sense.”

 

            If this is true, and I believe that it is true then I can learn that living for the Lord takes planning, planning to stay in His Word, to do the things that the Bible says to help me to grow in the Lord, and as stated this takes planning.

 

            Now as we look again at the first two servants we find that the distinguishing mark of them was that they used their opportunity to serve the Lord before His return, which they eagerly awaited, and thereby proved the genuineness of their salvation.  These two were willing to invest everything they had in service of their Master.  However the third servant, on the other hand, put aside what God had given to him and then went about his own selfish business.  He just did not thing that it was important to do what his master had asked him to do, as he called himself a servant of God, however he demonstrated conclusively that he was not.

 

            As we see in the last part of this parable that the master was angry with the third slave, not simply because he lost a profit but because the slave wasted his opportunity, and we can see in the parable that Jesus’ point was that having little to work with is no excuse for not using it at all.  The truth is that even a person with limited exposure to Scripture and who possesses few talents and few opportunities for service is fully obligated to use those blessings in order to serve the Lord.

 

            MacArthur writes “In T. S. Eliot’s play Murder in the Cathedral, the chorus chants, ‘Yet we have gone on living, living and partly living.’  Those words are reminiscent of the three slaves in this parable.  Two of them were truly alive, whereas the other had only the appearance of life.  Two of them built their houses on a foundation of rack, the other built his on sand.  Two of them were wheat, the other was a tare.

 

            “The profit earned by the first two servants represents the accomplishment and satisfaction of a life that belongs to the Lord and is faithfully dedicated to His service.  The failure of the third servant to use that with which he had been entrusted by his master represents the emptiness, uselessness, and worthlessness of a life in which profession of faith in Christ is proved false and meaningless by the careless waste of privilege and opportunity.”  And with this quote we finish looking and learning from this parable, remembering that we are talking about the tribulation period as we look at Matthew chapters 24 and 25.

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can learn things from all three of these slaves, and from the first two I can learn to continue to work for the Lord and in my working for the Lord use the talents that He has given me to serve Him as I live the Christian life on this earth.  From the last slave I can learn not to be selfish, to care greatly about what the Lord has entrusted me to serve Him.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I have been serving the Lord now for over fifty years and I remember what our former senior’s Pastor said, and that is to finish strong, and that is what I want to do.  I can only do that by continue to learn from the Lord as I study His Word.

 

3/16/2024 10:33 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment