Friday, August 5, 2016

A Ministry Marked by Compliance ot the Father (John 10:17-18)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/5/2016 8:32 AM

My Worship Time                                   Focus:  A Ministry Marked by Compliance to the Father

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 10:17-18

            Message of the verses:  “17 “For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 “No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.’”

            We mentioned in an earlier SD that the Father loves the Son, and even mentioned this verse, so we can say as we look at these two verses that we see two attitudes that define the relationship between the incarnate Son of God and the Father, and those are love and obedience.  It is impossible to love God and not obey Him, and Jesus Christ came to earth to obey the Father which He did perfectly.  Of course there are applications for us as believers and they are to show our love for our Lord Jesus Christ by obeying the commands that He has given to us to follow.  Jesus said “If you love me you will keep my commandments,” so love and obedience are what we are to do in our relationship to our Lord Jesus Christ.  Let us look at a few verses and then comment on them afterwards:  “John 15:9 “"Just as the Father has loved Me, I have also loved you; abide in My love.”  1 John 2:3-5 “3 By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4  The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5 but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:” 1 John 5:3 “For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.”  These verses show us that it is impossible to love God and not obey Him.

            Another thing we learn in this section is that the Father loves the Son because He laid down His life for the sheep, and we know that the Father chose the sheep before time began, and it was a part of the plan of sending Jesus Christ to the earth, that is to die for His sheep.  The sheep that the Father chose, and the sheep, that the Son died for are the same, and they will be given to the Son by the Father as His bride, something we learned when we looked at the later chapters of the book of Revelation last year.  We will now look at Philippians 2:8 which show us that the Son demonstrated His love to the Father by “humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”  MacArthur writes “He did so voluntarily; no one took His life away from Him, but He laid it down on His own initiative.  At His trial Jesus told Pilate, who would order His execution, ‘You would have no authority over Me, unless it had been given you from above’ (John 19:11; cf. Matt. 26:53-54).  The Lord’s twice-repeated declaration that He would take His life up again points forward to His resurrection—the ultimate demonstration of His messiahship and deity (Rom. 1:4).  As with everything He did, Christ exercised His authority to lay down His life and take it up again in voluntary compliance with and loving obedience to the commandment He received from the Father.  By the power of His resurrection, He would raise all His flock to eternal glory (John 6:39-40, 44).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Once again on keeping with the theme of looking forward to partaking of Communion this upcoming Sunday evening I can see in these verses what Jesus Christ did on the cross for me, and this is something that I could never do for myself.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Reflect on what Jesus did for me on the cross to pay for my sins and to give me eternal life.  I also want to remember that He will come in the clouds to receive me unto Himself some time soon.

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:5-6) “5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection; 6 knowing this that our old self was crucified with Him in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Timothy” (Acts 16:1-3).

Today’s Bible question:  “What is the name of the Greek translation of the Old Testament made in Alexandria between 250 and 150 B. C.?”

Answer in our next SD.

8/5/2016 9:07 AM   

No comments:

Post a Comment