Tuesday, August 16, 2016

PT-2 The True Shepherd (Zech. 11:4-14)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/16/2016 11:04 PM

My Worship Time                                                                        Focus:  PT-2 The True Shepherd

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Zech. 11:4-14

            Message of the verses:  “4 Thus says the LORD my God, "Pasture the flock doomed to slaughter. 5 “Those who buy them slay them and go unpunished, and each of those who sell them says, ’Blessed be the LORD, for I have become rich!’ And their own shepherds have no pity on them. 6 "For I will no longer have pity on the inhabitants of the land," declares the LORD; "but behold, I will cause the men to fall, each into another’s power and into the power of his king; and they will strike the land, and I will not deliver them from their power." 7 So I pastured the flock doomed to slaughter, hence the afflicted of the flock. And I took for myself two staffs: the one I called Favor and the other I called Union; so I pastured the flock. 8 Then I annihilated the three shepherds in one month, for my soul was impatient with them, and their soul also was weary of me. 9 Then I said, "I will not pasture you. What is to die, let it die, and what is to be annihilated, let it be annihilated; and let those who are left eat one another’s flesh." 10 I took my staff Favor and cut it in pieces, to break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples. 11 So it was broken on that day, and thus the afflicted of the flock who were watching me realized that it was the word of the LORD. 12 I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages. 13 Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 14 Then I cut in pieces my second staff Union, to break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.”

            It is good for us to remember that what we are looking at in this section of Zechariah is what Dr. Wiersbe has called an “action sermon.”  So I believe that Zechariah is giving this action sermon as if he was the Messiah, for I believe that the time period that he is prophesying about is the time when the Lord Jesus Christ was on the earth, and so Zechariah is showing the people what will happen when the Messiah comes to earth the first time.  I have to say that I listened to a fairly lengthy sermon on this 11th chapter of Zechariah today while in my car and John MacArthur said in that sermon that the 11th chapter of Zechariah is one of the most difficult chapters in all of the Word of God to understand.  I have to say that I truly agree with him.

            We know that verses 12-13 speak of Judas betraying Jesus, and he was paid 30 pieces of silver for what he did, the price of what a slave was worth that was gored by an ox, that was what it would cost the owner of the ox if it damaged a slave, so not very much at all.  After doing what he did Zechariah writes that he wants to receive his payment if it is good in their sight, but if it is not then he wants nothing.  He receives the money and then throws it in the temple for them to buy a potter’s field, a field where the non-wealthy dead could be buried.

            Dr. Wiersbe comments on this prophecy:  “If we have a high view of inspiration, we can’t simply dismiss this statement as a mistake or a scribal error; nor can we escape by saying that Jeremiah spoke the prophecy, but Zechariah wrote it in his book.  Wouldn’t you expect to find it in Jeremiah’s book?  Perhaps the solution lies in understanding the way ancient authors used texts from other writers.

            “First of all, how does Jeremiah get into the picture?  It appears that Matthew alludes to Jeremiah’s actions recorded in Jeremiah 19, when he broke the jar and pronounced judgment on Judah and Jerusalem.  He announced that the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, outside Jerusalem, would become a cemetery because of the sins of the people (Jer. 9:11).  Note that this event took place near the entrance of the east gate, which was the Potter’s Gate leading to a potter’s field (vv. 1-2), and note also the phrase ‘innocent blood’ in verse 4, a phrase that Judas used when he returned the silver to the priests (Matt. 27:4).  So, form Jeremiah, Matthew borrowed the images of a potter’s field, innocent blood, and a cemetery.”  Now the reason for this explanation is what is found in Matthew 27:9 which says “Then that which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet was fulfilled: "AND THEY TOOK THE THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER, THE PRICE OF THE ONE WHOSE PRICE HAD BEEN SET by the sons of Israel.”  I hope that this explains why Matthew did what he did in writing verse nine.

It looks like we will need one more day to finish this very difficult section, hopefully that will be tomorrow.

8/16/2016 11:33 PM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment