Monday, August 29, 2016

The Promise (John 11:40)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/29/2016 11:33 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  The Promise

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                        Reference:  John 11:40

            Message of the verses:  “40 Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?"”

            I want to do a little review since this Spiritual Diary will be short, and what I want to do is to take a brief look at some of the seven “I Am” statements that are found in the gospel of John.  From our past study we know that when we read these I Am statements that Jesus is telling His audience that He is God the very God that is described in Exodus 3:14 “God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ’I AM has sent me to you.’"”  When we see that Hebrew name of God it is in all caps LORD, and it is Yahweh, or in the English Jehovah.

            “John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.”  “John 8:12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."”  “John 10:7 So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.”  “John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep.”  “John 11:25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies.”  “John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.”  “John 15:1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.  John 15:5 “I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.”

            We see these seven “I Am” statements from John’s gospel and in many cases they are connected to a miracle that Jesus did or would do.  John 6:35 speaks of when Jesus gave the fish and loaves of bread to the crowd.  The I Am statement in John 8:12 is right before He gave the blind man sight.  Next we see the I Am statement in the chapter that we are looking at this time, chapter eleven where we read “Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me will live even if he dies.”    This is probably the most important statement that we see in this 11th chapter of John, for in it we see Jesus is saying that He is the One who gives resurrection, both spiritual and physical, and He proves that by raising Lazarus from the dead, giving life to a totally dead person, which is what He does when He saves a person as we are all born dead.  Now we look forward to looking at the other two “I Am” statements as we continue to look at John’s gospel.

            Martha’s despair drew out from Jesus a response that was designed partly to give her hope, and also it was partly a gentle rebuke.  MacArthur writes “The text does not record the Lord making this exact statement to Martha in their prior conversation (vv. 20-28).  Therefore He may have been referring to an earlier remark that does not appear in Scripture, or this statement may have been intended as a composite of verse 4 (His words there were not doubt reported to Mary and Martha) and verses 23-26). 

            In either case, Jesus’ reminder challenged Martha to stop being concerned about her brother’s body and to start focusing on Him.”  The Lord tells her that if she believed that she would see the glory of God, and that is exactly what happened to her, and all of those who were with her at that time.  Now we know that if she believed or did not believe that that would not cause Jesus to raise Lazarus from the dead, for He was going to do that whether or not she believed for that was a part of His plan and that could not be changed.  Those who were present who would be given faith to believe in Him would be saved, but some of those present at the raising of Lazarus went off to tell the Jews what had happened and did not have faith to believe that Jesus was who He claimed to be.  John MacArthur quotes Leon Morris who explains “For [Jesus] the ‘glory of God’ was the one important thing.  This means that the real meaning of what He would do would be accessible only to faith.  All who were there, believers or not, would see the miracle.  But Jesus is promising Martha a sight of the glory.  The crowd would see the miracle, but only believers would perceive its real significance, the glory.’”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It is my desire to see what the Lord wants me to see in His Word every time I open it up to read and study it, but I suppose there are times when I don’t see what He wants me to see, but then there are times when things seem to jump off the page, even something I have read may times before.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  One of the things that I have been trying to do better is to meditate on God’s Word, which is what I want to continue to do.

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:8-9) “8 Now if we have died to Christ, we believe we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “His vineyard” (1 Kings 21:2).

Today’s Bible question:  “What was the feast of unleavened bread called?”

Answer in our next SD.

8/29/2016 12:24 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment