Saturday, August 27, 2016

PT-3 Divine Conqueror (Zech. 9:11-12)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/27/2016 7:10 PM

My Worship Time                                                                          Focus:  PT-3 Divine Conqueror

Bible Reading & Meditation                                               Reference:  Zechariah 9:11-12

            Message of the verse:  “11 As for you also, because of the blood of My covenant with you, I have set your prisoners free from the waterless pit. 12 Return to the stronghold, O prisoners who have the hope; This very day I am declaring that I will restore double to you.”

            We have been looking at the Messiah’s conquest in our last SD and that is what we continue to look at in this SD as we look at verse eleven.  John MacArthur states that when you look at this verse in the Hebrew it is seen as already happened.  The reason for that is that is in the “perfect tense.”  Now I believe that there is another way that this can be explained as I have heard in earlier studies that what we have here is this is written in what is called the “prophetic tense,” in other words even though what is being talked about here is in the future it is seen as it has already happened because God is the One who is saying that it will happen.  We may say things like “I will see you tomorrow,” and then something happens and you don’t see that person tomorrow because of some unforeseen thing that comes up that you did not know would come up.  God is not like that for when He says something is going to happen it will happen for not only is God sovereign, but He is also omnipotent, having the power to make it happen.

            John MacArthur explains what this verse means, as when one looks at it we can see that it is hard to figure out.  “You say, "Well, what does that mean?" Well, He says first of all, because of the blood of the covenant. "Well, what blood is that?" Well, you remember back in Genesis 15? God made a promise to Abram. He said, "Abram," before he was Abraham, He said, "I'm going to make a great nation out of you and I'm going to promise to bless that nation. Now I want to seal that promise, so you get a goat and a ram and a heifer and a pigeon and a turtledove and you split the animals in half and then just kill the pigeon and the turtledove. And lay half of the animals on this side and half of the animals on this side, the dead pigeon on this side, and the dead turtledove on this side.’”

            “That's a messy bloody deal. You say, "What's God up to?" He got all done doing that and God just gave him a divine anesthetic...whish...put him to sleep. He's zonked. And the Bible says that God, speaking of God as a smoking burning lamp and furnace, God passed between those pieces, Genesis 15. You say, "What in the world is that?" In the east, when people made a covenant, they made it in blood. And the way they did it was to cut an animal in half and walk between the bloody parts of the animal. That was the custom to seal a promise. And God...watch this...God was not making a promise with Abram, so He just put Abram asleep and said, "You're not involved in this, kid." God was making a promise with God. Nobody went through those pieces but Him. He vowed with Himself to bless his people. That's unconditional because God could never break a promise He made with Himself, both parties are incapable of violating it because both parties are one in the same God.”

            “And so, He says it is because of My own covenant, the blood of that covenant, it may even also include the bloodshed in the Mosaic covenant. And certainly ultimately it is the covenant that is fulfilled most singularly in whose blood? The blood of Jesus Christ. Because of the blood that I that I passed between then, because of the blood of the Mosaic covenant, because of the blood of the Lord Jesus Christ, the once for all offering, because of those things, some pass, some yet to come, I'll never violate My promise, it's sealed in blood.

“You say, "Well,"... people always...amillennialists always say this, the people who don't believe Israel has a place, they say, "Well, you see, Israel blew it. You see, Israel isn't worthy to be redeemed. Israel isn't worthy to be brought back. Israel forfeited their right." Listen, it doesn't say, "But I'm going to bring you back because you're so wonderful." Or, "I'm going to bring you back because you've just now and then been pretty good." Or, "I'm going to bring you back because I feel sort of sorry for you." It says, "I"m going to bring you back because I made a promise with Myself and I sealed that promise in blood. And when I do that, I keep My promise."

“And so, God says because of the blood of the covenant, now watch this, I have already sent forth the prisoners out of the pit in which is no water. You remember Joseph, Genesis 37? Where did they throw Joseph? Where did his brothers throw him? In a pit. That was a common place to put people you wanted to get rid of. You know what happened when they threw them in the pit? Nothing, they died. And you now what they used to use for pits? Empty cisterns and dry wells. And that's exactly what you have here. A pit in which there is no water is a dry well. And God says Israel has been in a dry well a long time but because of the blood of the covenant and because I have made a vow to Israel, they're as good as out. And that's a great message to announce to the Jews, you know that? That your people are as good as out of the pit some day. When the King comes, Israel will be freed from the pit of trouble, the pit of war, the pit of suffering to know the liberty of the Kingdom of peace and the reign of the Prince of Peace Himself.

“And so, because of that he calls them prisoners of hope in verse 12. "Turn to the stronghold, you prisoners of hope." Turn to Me, is what He's saying. It's all going to come to pass, trust Me, lean on Me, ye prisoners of hope.

“I spoke at a prison this week. And after I was done preaching, a couple of men received Christ and I walked out into the chapel to talk with some of the prisoners. And every prisoner I talked to, except for one, said to me, "I'm getting out in 12 months....I'm getting out in six months...I think I'm going to get out in October...I think I..." You know why? Because they had to have hope, to be there and think they would never get out.

“Ah, we say to Israel, "Israel, you may be prisoners in a terrible situation with a PLO. You may be in a terrible situation with the Arab pressure. You may have it really rough but I'll tell you one thing, you're prisoners of hope because one of these days you're as good as out of the pit. And when you get out, everything that's ever been withheld from you will be given back double measure." Is that in the Bible? It's in the Bible, verse 12, "Even today do I declare, I will render...what?...double unto you." Not just blessing, double blessing. After all, you've had double anxiety and double pain. I'll render double blessing.

            “And they have had terrible pain, double pain. Isaiah 61:7, I just thought of it, says, "For your shame, you shall have double. And for confusion, they shall rejoice in their portion. Therefore in their land they shall possess a double portion." In other words, you had double pain, I'll give you double portion. That's God's promise. And so, He says I'm going to save them. I'm going to take war from the earth, verse 10. I'm going to give them salvation and bring them out of the pit. And I'm going to double bless them, verse 12.”

            I, for one am glad that I can get info on these verses from John MacArthur as I am not sure exactly how I could figure out what is being said in these difficult verses.  I actually believe that the book of Zechariah is the most difficult book that I have ever studied.  The other day I looked at when we began our study in Zechariah and it was all the way back in the latter part of April, and when I looked at that I was completely surprised, thinking that it was much later than that, but even through this is a difficult book to understand what we are learning certainly makes it easier to understand.

8/27/2016 7:35 PM

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment