Tuesday, August 30, 2016

The Prayer (John 11:41-42)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/30/2016 9:31 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  The Prayer

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 11:41-42

            Message of the verses:  “41 So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 42 “I knew that You always hear Me; but because of the people standing around I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me.’”

            Jesus wanted the stone removed and so those who were there removed the stone, and not Jesus.  Jesus could have caused the stone to be removed; even causing it to fly through the air, but Jesus did not do tricks.  Jesus had the people do what they could do so that He would then do what He could do, and that is raising Lazarus from the dead. 

            Now as we look at the prayer we see that Jesus did not ask the Father to raise Lazarus from the dead, but simply thanked Him for hearing Him, and then stating that He knew that the Father always heard him whenever He prayed to Him.  He then says that the reason for the prayer was for the benefit of those around Him could believe that the Father had sent the Son.

            Once again we see that Jesus wanted the people to understand why He came, and who it was that sent Him, and this goes along with the theme of John’s gospel that we have been looking at since we begin our study in this wonderful book way back in November of last year.

            I just want to say a bit more that probably should have been said in our last SD, as I have finished listening to the sermon on the verses that we will go over as seen in John MacArthur’s commentary from chapter 40.  It has to do with Martha and we did talk about her reaction to what Jesus was telling her about Him being the Resurrection and the Life.  Now we have mentioned that just like in the case of the man born blind and also the death of Lazarus that it was not about them, but about Jesus and bringing glory to God.  In the sermon that I listened to I was moved by this fact that this was all about bringing glory to the Lord.  I was thinking about some of the so called preachers that are seen on the TV and how they are supposedly doing miracles of healing people, and how rich they are getting from this “business” that they are in.  They are not doing this for the glory of the Lord, but for the filling of their pockets and people are falling for it.

            I was also thinking about the times when I have asked the Lord to bring about healing in my life or perhaps a friend’s life and remembering that I wanted the Lord to heal a sickness just for that person or for myself, but have not really thought about for the glory of the Lord.  It is the responsibility of all believers to bring glory to the Lord, that is why Jesus came to earth and that is why He saved us and this was a reminder in that sermon that I listened to, to do this as best I can through the power of the Holy Spirit.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Remember that I am to do what I can do for the cause of Christ, and let the Lord do what only He can do.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Live my life to bring glory to the Lord.  “But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit (2 Cor. 3:18).”

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:8-9) “8 Now if we have died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, is never to die again; death no longer is master over Him.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The Passover” (Luke 22:1).

Today’s Bible question:  “Which prophecy concerning Christ was given in Isaiah 53:9 and fulfilled in Matthew 27:57-60.”

Answer in our next SD.

8/30/2016 9:59 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment