Tuesday, September 27, 2016

PT-1 Introduction to John 12:27-34


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/27/2016 10:01 AM

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  Facing the Cross

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Intro to John 12:27-34

            Message of the verses:  “27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ’Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 “Father, glorify Your name." Then a voice came out of heaven: "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." 29 So the crowd of people who stood by and heard it were saying that it had thundered; others were saying, "An angel has spoken to Him." 30 Jesus answered and said, "This voice has not come for My sake, but for your sakes. 31 “Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out. 32 “And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself." 33 But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die. 34 The crowd then answered Him, "We have heard out of the Law that the Christ is to remain forever; and how can You say, ’The Son of Man must be lifted up’? Who is this Son of Man?’”

            As I look at this section I remember first of all that this is the third time that God the Father has spoken from heaven when people heard it.  Remember at the baptism of Jesus the Father spoke and then when Jesus was up on the mountain with three of His disciples He spoke again, and now in this passage we hear His voice once more.  He states that He has glorified Jesus, His Son before and perhaps He means that this happened when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead “40 Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?" 41 So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 42 “I knew that You always hear Me; but because of the people standing around I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me’ (John 11:40-42).”

            I think that in this section that we see a little bit about how Jesus was actually feeling about going to the cross.  Jesus was born to die, and to die on a cross of wood in order to pay the price of my sin and for everyone else who has called upon His name for salvation.  We will see more of the emotion that Jesus had as He moved closer to the cross, things like what Luke records when Jesus was praying and He began to sweat great drops of blood, and by the way this has a medical term called “Hematidrosis.” The question that I have is why was Jesus so emotional through all of this and I suppose that because of His humanity, but I really think there is more to it.  We have to remember two things in my view to answer this question and the first thing to remember is that God hates sin, one of the OT prophets states that God cannot be in the presence of sin He hates it that much.  God is perfectly holy and now we see that the God/Man, Jesus Christ is about to become sin, now He will not be made a sinner, but He will be made sin for us who knew no sin as Paul writes and there is a difference.  I think another reason for His emotion is that He will be separated from His Father, which is something that has never happened, nor will it ever happen again.  What we see in that statement is the great love between the persons of the trinity and this also causes this emotion.  I suppose that we can say that dying could be added to this list because the death that He died He died to sin once for all as Paul writes to the Romans and that is different than the death that a believer now dies for Paul also writes that absent from the body is present with the Lord.

            So we are going to be talking a lot in the next few months about what Jesus did as He was about to go to the cross as a great part of John’s gospel is about this last week of His life on planet earth. 

            John MacArthur writes as he begins this 4th chapter in his commentary on the last part of the gospel of John, a chapter that is named “Facing the Cross:”  “Of all the truths in the Christian faith, the death of Jesus Christ, accompanied by His resurrection, is the most precious.  Had He not died, there would be no substitute for sin.  Were there no salvation, there would be no hope.  And were there no hope, there would be no future but hell.”

            We will continue to look at this introduction of these verses as we look further into the death of Jesus Christ.  I can also pretty much you that there will be more SD’s on this introduction to this section of John’s gospel.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  One of the things that I look forward to when I get to heaven is that I will not have to deal with the conflict of sin as I do now, and as every believer has to while on this earth.  I think that when that happens that I will understand a lot better how Jesus felt as He went to the cross to become sin for me, and also to be able to have that same kind of love that flows between the persons of the trinity is something else I look forward to.  As a believer I have both conflict and peace, peace that I know that my sin has been paid for and conflict because of the flesh that I still have that makes me want to sin.  I guess we as believers all have a bit of schizophrenia in us.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I want to remember the truth of the verses that I am committing to memory, to remember that when I accepted Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord that at that very moment I died to sin.

Memory verse for the week:  (Romans 6:13) “13  and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The dove” (Genesis 8:9).

Today’s Bible question:  “How many children did Zacharias and Elizabeth have before John the Baptist?”

Answer in our next SD.

9/27/2016 10:51 AM              

No comments:

Post a Comment