Friday, September 16, 2016

PT-1 The Rejection of the True Shepherd (Zech. 11:4-14)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/16/2016 2:37 PM

My Worship Time                                     Focus:  The Rejection of the True Shepherd PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Zechariah 11:4-14

            Message of the verses:  “4 Thus says the LORD my God, "Pasture the flock doomed to slaughter. 5 “Those who buy them slay them and go unpunished, and each of those who sell them says, ’Blessed be the LORD, for I have become rich!’ And their own shepherds have no pity on them. 6 "For I will no longer have pity on the inhabitants of the land," declares the LORD; "but behold, I will cause the men to fall, each into another’s power and into the power of his king; and they will strike the land, and I will not deliver them from their power." 7 So I pastured the flock doomed to slaughter, hence the afflicted of the flock. And I took for myself two staffs: the one I called Favor and the other I called Union; so I pastured the flock. 8 Then I annihilated the three shepherds in one month, for my soul was impatient with them, and their soul also was weary of me. 9 Then I said, "I will not pasture you. What is to die, let it die, and what is to be annihilated, let it be annihilated; and let those who are left eat one another’s flesh." 10 I took my staff Favor and cut it in pieces, to break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples. 11 So it was broken on that day, and thus the afflicted of the flock who were watching me realized that it was the word of the LORD. 12 I said to them, "If it is good in your sight, give me my wages; but if not, never mind!" So they weighed out thirty shekels of silver as my wages. 13 Then the LORD said to me, "Throw it to the potter, that magnificent price at which I was valued by them." So I took the thirty shekels of silver and threw them to the potter in the house of the LORD. 14 Then I cut in pieces my second staff Union, to break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel.”

            I have to say that this section of Scripture which speaks of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Messiah while on planet earth is easier to understand than the first three verses of this chapter, although there are some parts of it that are very confusing.  We will probably have to take more than one SD to thoroughly look at what is here.

            We learned from our last SD on Zechariah 11:1-3 that it spoke of the Roman army under the leadership of Titus, who eventually became the leader of the Roman empire, that he came down from the Northern part of Israel down to Jerusalem and destroyed everything that was in his way.  I remember learning that he did not intend to destroy the temple, but there was gold in between the layers of the large limestone pieces and the only way to get that gold out was to take it down one stone at a time “1 Jesus came out from the temple and was going away when His disciples came up to point out the temple buildings to Him. 2 And He said to them, "Do you not see all these things? Truly I say to you, not one stone here will be left upon another, which will not be torn down’ (Matthew 24:1-2).”  It probably would be impossible to describe the devastation that happened in 70 AD unless someone depicted in a movie, but after that devastation many of the Jews were either killed or left the land and as stated before offered themselves as slaves, but were not bought:  “De 28:68 “The LORD will bring you back to Egypt in ships, by the way about which I spoke to you, ’You will never see it again!’ And there you will offer yourselves for sale to your enemies as male and female slaves, but there will be no buyer’”

            John MacArthur says the following from his sermon on Zechariah chapter 11 “Now I want to give you some information you have to have to understand this prophecy. I've studied a lot of chapters in the Bible. I don't think I ever studied one that's more difficult than this one. This is a very difficult chapter. I say that basically so that you'll understand that if you don't quite get every little thought here, I'm not sure anybody gets every little thought here, very difficult...because the style is often poetic. And trying to reproduce everything that was in the mind of the prophet is difficult. But I want you to see the flow of it because the overall flow and purpose of the chapter is very clear in spite of some of the little nuances in the Hebrew that are very difficult and I don't want to get bogged down in all of those. You know, I just know a little Hebrew, and he runs a delicatessen. So, I don't want to get involved in all of that.

            “But anyway, there is an important key, there is an important key to the chapter, and you've got to get this. There are many styles of prophetic utterance in the Old Testament. I remember having a course in Old Testament prophecy and my professor was Dr. Fineberg and he really knew this. And he opened up to me an understanding of so many kinds of prophetic method that I never understood. And one of them that he talked about that was interesting, I thought, was the fact that the prophets often made a prophecy by acting out a symbolic act. In other words, rather than just verbalizing something, they literally acted out something. For example, well Isaiah 8 might be a fitting example. Don't turn to it, I'll just read a verse or two real quick. Isaiah 8, "Moreover the Lord said to me, Take a great scroll and write in it with a man's pen concerning Maher-shalal- hash-baz. And I took to me faithful witnesses to record," etc., etc., etc.

“In other words, the Lord said I want you to do a demonstration, Isaiah. Get a big scroll and write some stuff on it. Well that was a demonstration. That was doing something very visible as a symbol of a certain prophecy.”

Ok we will stop here, but I have to say before we do, that we have looked at this concept in our OT study of the books of Jeremiah and also Ezekiel, mostly in Ezekiel, and that is what Dr. Warren Wiersbe often called “Action Sermons.”  MacArthur then goes on in his sermon to talk about the 4th chapter of the book of Ezekiel showing what we have referred to as an action sermon.  He states that what Zachariah is doing in this chapter.

“Let's look at them, beginning at verse 4. "Thus saith the Lord my God, Feed the flock of the slaughter." Now first Zechariah is to feed the flock of the slaughter. Now the word here "to feed" is the word "tend" in the Hebrew. It means to care for, to feed, to lead, to nurse. It's used in Psalm 23 to speak of the ministry of a shepherd. He says, "Now the first thing I want you to do in your role as a shepherd is act out a feeding. Feed the flock." And that would mean, of course, to teach them. I want you to be like the...like the true shepherd, like the spiritual shepherd and you feed the flock the Word of God.”  9/16/2016 3:15 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment