Monday, September 19, 2016

The Perplexity of His Men (John 12:16)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/19/2016 5:07 AM

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  The Perplexity of His Men

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                        Reference:  John 12:16

            Message of the verses:  “16 These things His disciples did not understand at the first; but when Jesus was glorified, then they remembered that these things were written of Him, and that they had done these things to Him.”

            Let us begin this rather short SD by looking at a similar verse found in John 2:22 “So when He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.”  Both of these verses show us that the disciples of Jesus did not truly understand what was happening in the life of Jesus Christ until after He was raised from the dead, and possibly this understanding did not happen to them until they received the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost.  The disciples of Jesus Christ, including Judas though that He would bring in the kingdom promised to them from the Lord the first time He came, as they did not see the necessity of His coming to die for their sins and the sins of all the world.  After His resurrection and the coming of the Holy Spirit they understood the OT prophecies that were related to His first coming, things like the 22nd Psalm, and Isaiah 52-53, which graphically shows the suffering of the Messiah. 

            Jesus promised that He would send a Comforter which speaks of the Holy Spirit to them so that they would be able to remember and to understand what was happening while He was on the earth.  Think about how long after the resurrection of Jesus Christ that John wrote the gospel of John, as he was a old man when he penned his gospel and so it was the Holy Spirit who brought back the memories to him that He wanted him to write about as Jesus promised that He would do for them.  “"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you (John 14:26).”  “"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come (John 16:13).”

            John MacArthur concludes this chapter in his commentary by writing the following:  “Jesus was a King like no other.  Instead of the pomp and circumstances associated with earthly kings, He was meek and lowly (Matt. 11:29); instead of defeating His enemies by force, He conquered them by dying (Heb. 2:14; cf. Eph. 1:19-22; Col. 2:15).  But through He was despised and rejected at His first advent (Isa. 53:3), Jesus Christ will one day return as the all-conquering King of Kings and Lord of Lords (Rev. 10:11-16), who will shatter His enemies and destroy them with a fierce and final judgment (Ps. 2:9; Rev. 19:15).  Just as He perfectly fulfilled all of the Old Testament prophecies regarding His first coming, so He will also come again in exactly the manner foretold by Scriptures.”  “11 They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven’ (Acts. 1:11).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I began to attend a different Sunday school class where our teacher is taking us through the book of Habakkuk, and there are some similar things at the beginning of that OT book that relate to the fact that the disciples of Jesus did not understand what Jesus was doing and Habakkuk did not understand what God was doing either.  In the same light I surely do not understand what the Lord is doing in my life all of the time, especially with the problems that I face with IBS.  I look at my older SD’s as I put them on the blog and read things from 14 years ago about the same problems that I still am facing.  Just as Habakkuk did not understand what the Lord was doing and the disciples of Jesus did not understand what He was doing so I do not understand what He is doing in my life, but like Habakkuk at the end of his book writes “16 I heard and my inward parts trembled, At the sound my lips quivered. Decay enters my bones, And in my place I tremble. Because I must wait quietly for the day of distress, For the people to arise who will invade us. 17 Though the fig tree should not blossom And there be no fruit on the vines, Though the yield of the olive should fail And the fields produce no food, Though the flock should be cut off from the fold And there be no cattle in the stalls, 18 Yet I will exult in the LORD, I will rejoice in the God of my salvation. 19 The Lord GOD is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, And makes me walk on my high places (Hab.:16-19a).”

My Steps of Faith for Today:   Continue to trust the Lord even though I don’t always know what He is doing in my life.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Genesis.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What was Abel’s occupation?”

Answer in our next SD.

9/19/2016 5:38 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment