Tuesday, September 13, 2016

The Hollow Superficiality of the People (John 12:9)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/13/2016 8:17 AM

My Worship Time                                                Focus:  The Hollow Superficiality of the People

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  John 12:9

            Message of the verse:  “9 The large crowd of the Jews then learned that He was there; and they came, not for Jesus’ sake only, but that they might also see Lazarus, whom He raised from the dead.”

            One of the things that I have learned from the gospel of John, and for that matter for my life in general is that Jesus should be first in my life.  When we once again read our key verses for this book we see that this was the purpose for John’s writing of this book:  “30 Therefore many other signs Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these have been written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name (John 20:30-31).”  When we looked at the healing of the blind man that was all about Jesus, and likewise when we read about the raising of Lazarus from the dead after being dead for four days that was all about Jesus, and so this verse teaches me that these people should be seeking Jesus, however some of them came just to get a look at Lazarus.  Lazarus was just the one whom Jesus raised from the dead, and so if it were not for Jesus he still would have been dead.

            I post older Spiritual Diaries onto my other blog each morning and at times when I look back and re-read them I can get some insights of what was going on when I wrote on a particular day.  I want to quote from a SD written on December 7, 2002 from the “Spiritual meaning for my life” part of the SD:  As I think a bit of what it means to know that Jesus Christ is the God-man I am so amazed at how this truth has had such a profound effect on my life since He first saved me.  There has never been a day go by that I have not thought of the Lord and how He changed my life so much that it brings tears to my eyes to think of what my life would have been without the Lord Jesus Christ in my life.  I think of how the Lord has changed my marriage, my wife, my children and hopefully someday our grandchildren.  He has made all the difference in my life and for this I praise Him and thank Him.  Amen.”  I have to say that for one time when I read these older SD’s that I find something that I was not struggling with that I am still struggling with today, but something that is spiritually good that still goes on today.  That warm day in January of 1974 was the turning point of my life as I was visiting a friend in Florida when the Lord saved me and it changed everything, and for that I am thankful.  I know that the sanctification process is still going on in my life today and for that I am thankful, but learning that my life is all about Jesus is still an ongoing process that is still changing my life in a way that conforms me to my Savior.

            Now as we look at our verse today we see that the word “Jews” which is usually referring to the religious leaders in John’s gospel this time refers to the common people who were already in Jerusalem for the Passover celebration.  These are the ones who came to see Lazarus and also Jesus.  “55 Now the Passover of the Jews was near, and many went up to Jerusalem out of the country before the Passover to purify themselves. 56 So they were seeking for Jesus, and were saying to one another as they stood in the temple, "What do you think; that He will not come to the feast at all?’ (John 11:55-56).  We can imagine that there were many people who came from faraway places who learned for the first time about the miracle that Jesus had performed in raising Lazarus from the dead, and so they desired to come to see both Jesus and Lazarus.  This miracle was a good thing in that it proves who Jesus is and so it drew people to the Savior, but what were they going to do with Jesus once they heard about Him is the question that needs to be answered.

            The people who came to see Jesus and Lazarus were not yet openly hostile to Him, like we learned that Judas was, but then they were not like Martha and Mary, along with Lazarus who believed in Him for their salvation, they were similar to what we read of the people of Laodicean church were, lukewarm.  In a few days from this day these people will be a part of the ones who would say “Hosanna! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord, even the King of Israel” (John 12:13).  A few days later they would be a part of the crowd who would be saying “Away with Him, away with Him, crucify Him! (John 19:15).”  Some of them may even be the ones who would be mocking Him while on the cross as seen in Matthew 27:39-40.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that I am like Martha, Mary, and Lazarus as I too am a part of the family of God as I believe like they did that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am praying for a blessed day as I will be caring for two of my grandchildren today, for strength and to be patient and loving to them, and thankful that God has given them to our family.

Memory verses for the week: (Romans 6:10-11):  “10 For the death that He died, He died to sin, once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  11 Even so consider yourselves dead to sin. But alive to God in Christ Jesus.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another.”

Today’s Bible question:  What made Paul use great plainness of speech?”

Answer in our next SD.

9/13/2016 9:08 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment