Monday, September 14, 2026

PT-2 “Be Careful How You Listen” (Luke 8:16-21)

 

EVENING SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/14/2026 9:02 PM

My Worship Time                                                       Focus: PT-2 “Be Careful How You Listen”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                                 Reference:  Luke 8:16-21

            Message of the verses:  16“Now no one lights a lamp and covers it over with a container, or puts it under a bed; but he puts it on a lampstand so that those who come in may see the light. 17For nothing is concealed that will not become evident, nor anything hidden that will not be known and come to light. 18So take care how you listen; for whoever has, to him more will be given; and whoever does not have, even what he thinks he has will be taken away from him.”

19Now His mother and brothers came to Him, and they were unable to get to Him because of the crowd. 20And it was reported to Him, “Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, wishing to see You.” 21But He answered and said to them, “My mother and My brothers are these who hear the word of God and do it.

            Just so you know this is the introduction to these verses above.

            MacArthur continues, “But all too often Israel failed to listen to God’s word.  In Psalm 81:11-13 God lamented ‘ My people did not listen to My voice, and Israel did not obey Me.  So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart , to walk in their own devices.  Oh that My people would listen to Me, that Israel would walk in My ways!’  Isaiah 30:9 described the children of Israel as ‘a rebellious people, false sons, sons who refuse to listen to the instruction of the Lord,’ while in Jeremiah 13:10 God indicted them as a ‘wicked people, who refuse to listen to My words.’  ‘This has been your practice from your youth,’  God said in Jeremiah 22:21, ‘that you have not obeyed My voice’ (cf. 7:26; 11:10; 17:23; 35:17; 36:31; 40:3; Ps. 106:25; Isaiah 28:12; 66:4).

(cf. 7:26; 11:10; 17:23; 35:17; 36:31; 40:3; Ps. 106:25; Isaiah 28:12; 66:4)

“26  Yet they did not listen to me or incline their ear, but stiffened their neck. They did worse than their fathers.”

“10  They have turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers, who refused to hear my words. They have gone after other gods to serve them. The house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken my covenant that I made with their fathers.”

“23  Yet they did not listen or incline their ear, but stiffened their neck, that they might not hear and receive instruction.”

“17  Therefore, thus says the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I am bringing upon Judah and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem all the disaster that I have pronounced against them, because I have spoken to them and they have not listened, I have called to them and they have not answered."

“31  And I will punish him and his offspring and his servants for their iniquity. I will bring upon them and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem and upon the people of Judah all the disaster that I have pronounced against them, but they would not hear.’"

“3  The LORD has brought it about, and has done as he said. Because you sinned against the LORD and did not obey his voice, this thing has come upon you.”

“25  They murmured in their tents, and did not obey the voice of the LORD.”

“12  My dwelling is plucked up and removed from me like a shepherd’s tent; like a weaver I have rolled up my life; he cuts me off from the loom; from day to night you bring me to an end;”

“4  I also will choose harsh treatment for them and bring their fears upon them, because when I called, no one answered, when I spoke, they did not listen; but they did what was evil in my eyes and chose that in which I did not delight."”

“Not only rebellious Israel, but also all those who reject the truth are guilty of failing to listen to the Lord speaking in Scripture.  As Jesus pointed out in the parable of the soils, the people represented by all four soils hear the word (Luke 8:12, 13, 14, 15); what differentiates people is how they react to the truth they hear.” (I just finished looking at those verses in the last section, so won’t repeat it here.)

            “The kind of listeners people are reveals their spiritual condition.  Many make a superficial response to the Lord Jesus Christ, but He will one day say to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness’ (Matt. 7:23; 25:11-12).  Jesus said that such are the ones who hear His words, but fail to act on them (Matt. 7:26).  When the flood of divine judgment comes, their spiritual houses, lacking a solid spiritual foundation, will be swept away (v. 27).  On the other hand those who hear Christ’s words and obey them are His true disciples (v. 24 cf. John 8:31-32, 47; 10:3-5, 16, 27; 1 Cor. 2:12-16).

(Matt. 7:23; 25:11-12)

“23  And then will I declare to them,, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

“11  Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ 12  But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’

(Matt. 7:26)

“26  And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not do them will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand.”

  (Mat.25:27).

“27  Then you ought to have invested my money with the bankers, and at my coming I should have received what was my own with interest.”

(v. 24 cf. John 8:31-32, 47; 10:3-5, 16, 27; 1 Cor. 2:12-16)

“24  He also who had received the one talent came forward, saying, ‘Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow, and gathering where you scattered no seed,”

” 31 ¶  So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, "If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32  and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

“47  Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God."

“3  To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4  When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. 5  A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

“16  And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.”

“27  My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.”

“12  Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13  And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual. 14  The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 15  The spiritual person judges all things, but is himself to be judged by no one. 16  “For who has understood the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him?” But we have the mind of Christ.”

            “Jesus challenged those who identified themselves as His disciples, who were gathered around Him to hear His explanation of the parable of the soils, to take care how they listen.  He noted four ways in which true hearers listen to the word: evangelistically, authentically, fruitfully, and obediently.”

9/14/2026 10:00 PM

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment