Monday, March 14, 2016

PT-1 of Introduction to John 5:30-47


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/14/2016 11:46 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  Introduction to John 5:30-47

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 5:30-47

            Message of the verses:  “30 “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 31"If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true. 32 “There is another who testifies of Me, and I know that the testimony which He gives about Me is true. 33 “You have sent to John, and he has testified to the truth. 34 “But the testimony which I receive is not from man, but I say these things so that you may be saved. 35 “He was the lamp that was burning and was shining and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. 36  "But the testimony which I have is greater than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish-the very works that I do-testify about Me, that the Father has sent Me. 37 "And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38 “You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent. 39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. 41 “I do not receive glory from men; 42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43 “I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. 44 “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? 45 “Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope. 46 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"”

            John MacArthur begins this section in his commentary in which he entitles this chapter “Witnesses to the Deity of Christ,” with the following words:  “A singularly tragic theme in Scripture is that on God’s unrequited love for wayward Israel.  His people, whom He graciously chose for Himself (Deut. 7:7-8) ‘7  "The LORD did not set His love on you nor choose you because you were more in number than any of the peoples, for you were the fewest of all peoples, 8 but because the LORD loved you and kept the oath which He swore to your forefathers, the LORD brought you out by a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery, from the hand of Pharaoh king of Egypt, repeatedly proved unthankful and unfaithful to Him in return.” 

            In our many studies of the books of the OT we have seen this truth made very clear.  I suppose that if I were smart enough to make a graph and put it on this SD that would describe the spirituality of the nation of Israel from the time that God called them in Genesis chapter twelve that the scale would be an up and down one, but the overall direction of it would be on the downward path.  During the time of the Judges we especially see the up and down movement of the graph, but as stated in the end it would be lower than when Israel first came into the Promised Land.  I have mentioned many times that God, through Moses prophesied that this would happen, especially in the 28th chapter of Deuteronomy.  I suppose that the highest time of spirituality was during the reign of King David and a small part of King Solomon, but then again the movement of the graph, although up and down would be mainly downward as there were many more bad kings to rule over both Israel and Judah until Israel was destroyed in 722 BC and Judah in 586 BC.  But that was not the end of the people of Israel, for God sent them back into the land some 70 years after they went into captivity to fulfill the promise that He would do this and although they did not own any of the Promised Land during this time the temple was rebuilt and worship once again began, but soon after the last prophets that came from the Lord were killed or died the spirituality of Israel once again went downward.  When Jesus comes on the scene to begin His ministry as we have seen there was a false religion in Israel which would eventually cause His death as He opposed this false system with the truth and they did not like it.  We are seeing His first opposition in this fifth chapter of the gospel of John and we can already sense the hatred that these false religious leaders felt against our Lord. 

            I want to back up a bit and quote from Isaiah 5:1-7 to show a picture of Israel’s apostasy in a parable that he writes:  “1 Let me sing now for my well-beloved A song of my beloved concerning His vineyard. My well-beloved had a vineyard on a fertile hill. 2 He dug it all around, removed its stones, And planted it with the choicest vine. And He built a tower in the middle of it And also hewed out a wine vat in it; Then He expected it to produce good grapes, But it produced only worthless ones. 3 “And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah, Judge between Me and My vineyard. 4 “What more was there to do for My vineyard that I have not done in it? Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones? 5 “So now let Me tell you what I am going to do to My vineyard: I will remove its hedge and it will be consumed; I will break down its wall and it will become trampled ground. 6 “I will lay it waste; It will not be pruned or hoed, But briars and thorns will come up. I will also charge the clouds to rain no rain on it." 7 For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel And the men of Judah His delightful plant. Thus He looked for justice, but behold, bloodshed; For righteousness, but behold, a cry of distress.”

            I want to follow along in John MacArthur’s commentary on his introductory comments on this sections, but it will take at least one more day to finish it and so we will look at it some more in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Every time that I look at the spirituality of the nation of Israel I have to look at myself and wonder what a graph of my life would look like for I have a completed Bible to read from and I have the Holy Spirit living in me, and I have a wonderful church to attend and yet I am sure that there are far too many times when I act like the children of Israel act and probably disappoint my Lord.  I just cannot look at Israel and be hard on them, for that is not up to me to do that, for I can surely say that I would not like my sins printed on the pages of the Bible for all to see, but one thing is true, and Paul speaks of it in a couple of places, and that is that the Old Testament writings are there for me to learn from, to do the good things found there and avoid the bad things. 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To learn to better love the Lord and to do the things He wants me to do in a productive way that will please Him.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Ezra” (Ezra 7:6-9).

Today’s Bible question:  “What was the smallest Hebrew measurement of length?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/14/2016 12:33 PM  

No comments:

Post a Comment