Friday, March 25, 2016

The Faithless Disciples from John 6:5-9


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/25/2016 10:51 AM

My Worship Time                                                                           Focus:  The Faithless Disciples

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 6:5-9

            Message of the verses:  “5 Therefore Jesus, lifting up His eyes and seeing that a large crowd was coming to Him, said to Philip, "Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?" 6 This He was saying to test him, for He Himself knew what He was intending to do. 7 Philip answered Him, "Two hundred denarii worth of bread is not sufficient for them, for everyone to receive a little." 8 One of His disciples, Andrew, Simon Peter’s brother, said to Him, 9 “There is a lad here who has five barley loaves and two fish, but what are these for so many people?"”

            We have mentioned that Jesus may have had a little time to spend with His disciples before the crowds came to Him.  In the Synoptic gospels we read that Jesus first took time to heal some of those who were in need of healing.  We know that Jesus is a compassionate God and His compassion surely was on display at this time for we know that His heart was sad over the death of John the Baptist, and that His disciples were also tired after ministering for a while to people in Israel, but nonetheless Jesus took time to meet the physical needs of those who were in need.  At this point I want to write something that I promised I would do when the time came, and not the time has come.  As mentioned Jesus sent His disciples out two by two to minister to the people of Israel and they came back telling of great success with their ministries.  Now Jesus asks Philip how they were going to feed all of these people and he had no answer.  These disciples had performed many miracles on their “missions’ trip” and all I can say is that they had forgotten all about what they were able to do when Jesus sent them out.  I cannot be too hard on them for not relying on the resource that they knew that they had for I will have to admit that when trouble comes to me that on many occasions I try first of all to solve it by myself and when I figure I can’t solve the problem I then turn to the Lord in prayer when I first should turn to Him in prayer.

            Jesus knew what He was intending to do but first gave the disciples a chance to solve this problem and next we see that Andrew comes up to Jesus with a boy who had a small lunch that he had brought with Him.  We can say that little in the hands of Jesus were enough for Him to feed some 20,000 plus people.  I can imagine that this boy never forgot what the Lord had done with his small lunch.  Think about receiving a meal of fish that had never been in the water, and bread that had never grown up as grain, but just became bread.  Can you imagine what the enemies of Jesus were thinking about the power He had as if He had wanted to make an army of people if they died He could raise them from the dead and also no one would have to bring food for He would provide it like He did here.  I am sure that this frightened some of the enemies of Jesus to see this as perhaps all of His miracles had done.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire to have the love for people that my Lord showed here and many other places in the gospels.  In order to love the Lord I need to have love for others like He does.

My Steps of Faith for today:  When things come where I know I need help with I want to first of all pray to the Lord before trying to do it myself.  

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “God” (Romans2:11).

Today’s Bible question:  “The Pharisees criticized Jesus for eating with what people?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/25/2016 11:27 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment