Tuesday, March 15, 2016

PT-2 Introduction to John 5:30-47


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/15/2016 11:33 AM

My Worship Time                                                         Focus:  PT-2 Introduction to John 5:30-47

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  John 5:30-47

            Message of the verses:  “30 “I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.  31 "If I alone testify about Myself, My testimony is not true. 32 “There is another who testifies of Me, and I know that the testimony which He gives about Me is true. 33 “You have sent to John, and he has testified to the truth. 34 “But the testimony which I receive is not from man, but I say these things so that you may be saved. 35 “He was the lamp that was burning and was shining and you were willing to rejoice for a while in his light. 36 "But the testimony which I have is greater than the testimony of John; for the works which the Father has given Me to accomplish-the very works that I do-testify about Me, that the Father has sent Me. 37 "And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38 “You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent. 39 “You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. 41 “I do not receive glory from men; 42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43 “I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. 44 “How can you believe, when you receive glory from one another and you do not seek the glory that is from the one and only God? 45 “Do not think that I will accuse you before the Father; the one who accuses you is Moses, in whom you have set your hope. 46 “For if you believed Moses, you would believe Me, for he wrote about Me. 47 “But if you do not believe his writings, how will you believe My words?"”

            We have been and continue to talk about Israel’s waywardness from the Lord as seen through the different OT prophets.  In the Hebrew Scriptures we find that the Lord and the nation of Israel were married in a spiritual sense, and when Israel would go and serve other gods they were committing adultery with the Lord and MacArthur writes that the use of the word adultery is seen more as spiritual adultery than physical in the OT.  I have to say that this spiritual adultery was painful to the heart of the Lord as He brought about the nation of Israel through a miracle of a 100 year old man and a 90 year old woman having a baby, and He cared for them, brought them out of slavery from Egypt after 400 years of slavery which is a picture of redemption.  Israel, from the beginning wanted to serve other gods, and not follow the Lord as while Moses was up on the mountain receiving the Ten Commandments Israel was making an idol and having a sensual party.  However all of what Israel did to sin against the Lord did not stop Him from loving them nor did He forsake His unconditional promises to them, as these are still in effect and will be fulfilled during the Millennial Kingdom. 

            In our study of the OT prophets we have seen the love that the Lord has for Israel along with the judgment that He would bring against them, but while studying the book of Hosea and his unfaithful wife whom he bought back from a slave market, this too shows the love that the Lord has for Israel. 

            John MacArthur writes “In two dramatic passages in Jeremiah, God made it unmistakably clear that He will never abandon Israel:

            ‘35 Thus says the LORD, Who gives the sun for light by day And the fixed order of the moon and the stars for light by night, Who stirs up the sea so that its waves roar; The LORD of hosts is His name: 36 “If this fixed order departs From before Me," declares the LORD, "Then the offspring of Israel also will cease From being a nation before Me forever." 37 Thus says the LORD, "If the heavens above can be measured And the foundations of the earth searched out below, Then I will also cast off all the offspring of Israel For all that they have done," declares the LORD (Jer. 31:35-37).’

            ‘20 “Thus says the LORD, ’If you can break My covenant for the day and My covenant for the night, so that day and night will not be at their appointed time, 21 then My covenant may also be broken with David My servant so that he will not have a son to reign on his throne, and with the Levitical priests, My ministers. 22  ’As the host of heaven cannot be counted and the sand of the sea cannot be measured, so I will multiply the descendants of David My servant and the Levites who minister to Me.’"  25 "Thus says the LORD, ’If My covenant for day and night stand not, and the fixed patterns of heaven and earth I have not established, 26  then I would reject the descendants of Jacob and David My servant, not taking from his descendants rulers over the descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. But I will restore their fortunes and will have mercy on them’ (Jer. 33:20-22, 25-26).’”

            When we get to the New Testament we find the apostle Paul echoing some of the OT verses as he also tells of how the Lord will never forsake Israel.  He does say that the Lord has at this time, the church age, sat Israel aside, but does not and will not forsake them.  Let us look at Romans 11:1-2, 25-26 “1  I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. 2 God has not rejected His people whom He foreknew. Or do you not know what the Scripture says in the passage about Elijah, how he pleads with God against Israel?’  ‘25 For I do not want you, brethren, to be uninformed of this mystery-so that you will not be wise in your own estimation-that a partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; 26 and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, "THE DELIVERER WILL COME FROM ZION, HE WILL REMOVE UNGODLINESS FROM JACOB."’”

            Yes there is a method to our madness as we have briefly looked at Israel’s unfaithfulness to the Lord and His continued love for them.  At this time I want to conclude this section with a quote from John MacArthur’s commentary.

            “From verse 17 to the end of the chapter, Jesus defended Himself for healing a lame man on the Sabbath (5:1-16), an act which the Jewish authorities considered a blatant violation of Sabbath law (5:16).  Jesus, however, did not break any biblical regulations, but rather the rabbinic traditions that had developed around them.  Yet the Lord did not defend Himself by noting that distinction.  Instead, He asserted His equality with the Father, and thus His right to work on the Sabbath just as the Father did (v. 17).  Shocked by what they considered a blasphemous claim to deity, the Jews felt justified in redoubling their efferts to kill Jesus (v. 18).  Jesus responded by strengthening His claims to equality with God by doing equal works, equally giving life, receiving equal honor, and equally executing final judgment on all (vv. 19-29).

            “Verse 30 summarizes the Son’s claim to be equal with the Father.  Contrary to His opponents’, accusations, He did not act on His ‘won imitative,’ but rather always and only in complete conjunction with the Father (cf. v. 19).  Therefore by accusing Him of wrongdoing, the Jewish leaders were simultaneously accusing the Father as well.  Since the immediate context involves the Son’s activity as judge (vv. 27-29), the Lord used that as an illustration and a warning, declaring, ‘As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is just, because I do not seek My own will, but of Him who sent Me.’  Since Jesus always acts in perfect harmony with the ‘will of’ the Father ‘who sent’ Him, His’ judgment’ is always ‘just.’  And it will be justly executed on those who reject and oppose Him.

            “When the Lord said, ‘If I along testify about Myself, My testimony is not true,’ He did not mean to imply that His self-witness in unreliable (cf. 8:14).  His point was that His Jewish opponents claimed His own self-testimony was not sufficient.  The issue was not whether that testimony was true in itself, but whether His opponents would believe Him.  So He offered more testimony as evidence.

            “In verses 33-37 Jesus called on additional confirmation from four unimpeachable sources to corroborate His claims; the forerunner’s witness, the finished works, the Father’s word, and the faithful writings.” 

            We will have more to say about this in our next SD from a recent sermon from John MacArthur.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The breadth of the human finger.”

Today’s Bible question:  “Where was the blood to be striken during the Passover?”

Answer in our next SD.

3/15/2016 12:19 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment