Saturday, March 12, 2016

The Righteous God from Zeph. 3:5-8


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/12/2016 8:06 PM

My Worship Time                                                                                  Focus: The Righteous God

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Zephaniah 3:5-8

            Message of the verses:  “5 The LORD is righteous within her; He will do no injustice. Every morning He brings His justice to light; He does not fail. But the unjust knows no shame. 6 “I have cut off nations; Their corner towers are in ruins. I have made their streets desolate, With no one passing by; Their cities are laid waste, Without a man, without an inhabitant. 7 “I said, ’Surely you will revere Me, Accept instruction.’ So her dwelling will not be cut off According to all that I have appointed concerning her. But they were eager to corrupt all their deeds.  8 "Therefore wait for Me," declares the LORD, "For the day when I rise up as a witness. Indeed, My decision is to gather nations, To assemble kingdoms, To pour out on them My indignation, All My burning anger; For all the earth will be devoured By the fire of My zeal.

            5 The Lord in her is upright; he will not do evil; every morning he lets his righteousness be seen, he is unchanging; but the evil-doer has no sense of shame. 6 I have had the nations cut off, their towers are broken down; I have made their streets a waste so that no one goes through them: destruction has overtaken their towns, so that there is no man living in them. 7  I said, Certainly you will go in fear of me, and come under my training, so that whatever I may send on her may not be cut off before her eyes: but they got up early and made all their works evil. 8 For this reason, go on waiting for me, says the Lord, till the day when I come up as a witness: for my purpose is to send for the nations and to get the kingdoms together, so that I may let loose on them my passion, even all my burning wrath: for all the earth will be burned up in the fire of my bitter passion (BBE).”

            We can see from verse five that the Lord is righteous and the Lord will not, and may I add, cannot do any evil, however as the evil people in Jerusalem meet at the gate every morning they are planning evil things to do, people to take advantage of, things like this, and yet they do not realize that the Lord is watching their every move, and will soon judge them.  We read in 2 Samuel 713 along with 1 Kings 5:5, and Nehemiah 1:9 that God’s name is identified with Jerusalem, and not it is a cesspool of iniquity, something that must have broken the heart of God to see.  God has waited patiently, but now we see that He will act, and when He acts the people will know that He is the Lord.

            There has been a history of God judging the Gentile nations as we see in verse six, and other places in the Word of God.  In Genesis 15 we see the covenant that the Lord made with Abraham, and thus with Abraham’s descendants and a part of what we read in that chapter is God planning to use the children of Israel to destroy the Gentile nations who were then in the Promised Land, which is another section in the Word of God where God has judged the Gentile nations.  Since God did this and since Judah had broken His conditional covenant found in Deuteronomy 28 we know that He is perfectly able to judge Judah.  Because God had judged the Gentile nations, this should have been a sign that He was going to judge Judah, and therefore they should have been repentant.  We have to remember that Peter tells us that judgment begins at the household of God, that being that His people are held in higher responsibility than those who do not believe. 

            Dr. Wiersbe concludes “The Lord concludes this message to Jerusalem by describing a courtroom scene in which He stands to testify against His people (v. 8).  While the impending Babylonian Captivity is involved here, there is also an end-times application in the Battle of Armageddon, when the nations of the world converge against Jerusalem.  God will pour out His wrath upon these nations, deliver His people, and establish His kingdom (Zech. 14:1-9).  His jealous anger will burn like fire against all who resist His truth and disobey His Word.  The terrible Day of the Lord will dawn and there will be no escape (See Zeph. 1:20ff.).”

3/12/2016 8:29 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment