Tuesday, July 5, 2016

2nd Introduction to John chapter 9


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/5/2016 11:42 AM

My Worship Time                                                                      Focus:  2nd Introduction to John 9

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 9

            Message of the verses:  It is because I like so much the writings of Dr. Warren Wiersbe that I want to quote what his commentary has to say from the introduction the book of John’s introduction.

            “Our Lord performed miracles in order to meet human needs.  But He also used those miracles as a ‘launching pad’ for a message conveying spiritual truth.  Finally, His miracles were His ‘credentials’ to prove that He was indeed the Messiah.  ‘The blind receive their sight’ was one such messianic miracle (Matt. 11:15), and we see it demonstrated in this chapter.  Jesus used this miracle as the basis for a short sermon on spiritual blindness (John 9:39-41) and a longer sermon on true and false shepherds (John 10:1-18).

            I am told that in the United States somebody goes blind every twenty minutes.  The man we meet in this chapter was born blind; he had never seen the beauty of God’s creation or the faces of his loved ones.  When Jesus arrived on the scene, everything changed, and the man was made to see.  However, the greatest miracle was not the opening of his eyes but the opening of his heart to the Saviour.  It cost him everything to confess Jesus as the Son of God, but he was willing to do it.”

            There are different ways to understand and outline this chapter and we will use the outline from John MacArthur’s commentary to see the different things in this chapter because it is a bit more detailed.  One way to look at this entire chapter is to follow the progress of the blind man’s discovery of who Jesus is as spoken of in Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary.  As we work our way through this chapter we will see that first of all the blind man calls Jesus “the man.”  Next he calls Jesus “a man of God,” and then finally he calls Him “The Son of God.”  Now this would be the outline for the entire chapter and we will see this progression as we make our way through the book of John.  Now as we follow John MacArthur’s outline for this chapter there are three different chapters in his commentary so there will be a more in-depth outline in each of those chapters.  I certainly enjoy reading both commentaries as I have great respect for both men and have learned much from both of them. 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  When I was a child I did not really have an idea of who Jesus was, and even after I became a believer I was not sure who He was for a short time until I learned that He was the Son of God who came to earth to pay for  my sins.  Ya I’m a slow learner, but after a while I learned that He is not only my Savior but also my Lord and One that I am trying to learn to follow each and every day.

My Steps of Fait for Today:  Continue to learn and grow in the grace of God.

Memory verses for the week (Romans 6:1-2):  “1. What shall we say then?  Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?  2. May it never be!  How shall we who died to sin still live in it?”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Simon Peter” (Luke 5:4).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?’”

Answer in our next SD.

7/5/2016 12:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment