Sunday, July 10, 2016

The Perplexity (John 9:8-12)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/10/2016 6:32 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                         Focus:  The Perplexity

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                         Reference:  John 9:8-12

            Message of the verses:  “8 Therefore the neighbors, and those who previously saw him as a beggar, were saying, "Is not this the one who used to sit and beg?" 9 Others were saying, "This is he," still others were saying, "No, but he is like him." He kept saying, "I am the one." 10 So they were saying to him, "How then were your eyes opened?" 11 He answered, "The man who is called Jesus made clay, and anointed my eyes, and said to me, ’Go to Siloam and wash’; so I went away and washed, and I received sight." 12 They said to him, "Where is He?" He said, "I do not know.’”

            I have to say that I have a unusual habit and that is that for some reason whenever I pick up a magazine I look at the back first and then move towards the front.  My daughter tells me she does the same thing so I guess she got it from me.  At any rate I want to quote from the last part of John MacArthur’s commentary on this section as we begin to look at it.  “This account of Jesus’ healing of a blind man beautifully illustrates the salvation process.  Blinded by sin (12:40; 2 Cor. 4:4), lost sinners have no capacity to recognize the Savior or find Him on their own (Rom. 3:11; 8:7).  The blind man would not have been healed had Jesus not sought him and revealed Himself to him.  So it is in salvation; if God did not reach out to spiritually blind sinners, no one would be saved (Rom. 5:6; cf. John 6:44, 65).  And just as the blind man was healed only when he obeyed Jesus’ command and washed in the pool of Siloam, so also are sinners saved only when they humbly and obediently embrace the truth of the gospel (Rom. 1:5; 15:18; 16:26; Heb. 5:9; cf. 2 Thess. 1:8; 1 Peter 4:17).”

            Now we do not find Jesus in the narrative of chapter nine until we get to verse 35, and so what we will be seeing is the blind man, his neighbors, his parents, and the Pharisees as we move through John chapter nine.  It was easier for his neighbors to think that he was an imposter than to believe that this was the same man who had been born blind.  In this section we see the first statement that this blind man says about Jesus, and that is he calls Him “the man Jesus.”  As we move forward in this chapter we will notice that he progress in what he calls Jesus until Jesus tells him that He is the Messiah and the man believes in Him as his Savior and Lord. 

            I want to back track a bit and quote a paragraph or so from Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary as he speaks to why Jesus made the clay and put it onto the blind man’s eyes.  The first reason is one we have already looked at earlier:  “There were at least two reasons for our Lord’s use of the clay.  For one thing, it was a picture of the Incarnation.  God made the first man out of the dust , and God sent His Son as a real Man…

            “The second reason for the clay was irritation; it encouraged the man to believe and obey!  If you have ever had an irritation in your eyes, you know how quickly you see irrigation to cleanse it out!  You might compare this ‘irritation’ to the convicting work of the Holy Spirit as He uses God’s Law to bring the lost sinner under judgment.

            “But the illumination now led to a problem in identification:  was this really the blind beggar, and who caused him to see?  Throughout the rest of John 9, a growing conflict takes place around these two questions.  The religious leaders did not want to face the fact that Jesus had healed the man, or even that the man had been healed!”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that Jesus opened my spiritually blind eyes to show me who He is.  I remember that time when the Lord saved me and my life has not been the same since.  I am thankful that the Lord saved me and that not only has He saved me but He continues to show His grace and mercy to me each and every day.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to trust the Lord as I teach our small Sunday school class on who God is.  My prayer is that our class will not just know about God but we will be like Moses when he asked God to show him His glory.

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:1-2):  “1.  What shall we say then?  Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?  2.  May it never be!  How shall we who died to sin still live in it?”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question: “300” (1 Kings 11:3).

Today’s Bible question:  “It is a fearful thing to fall into whose hands?”

Answer in our next SD.

7/10/2016 7:04 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment