Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Intro One to John 10:1-10


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/26/2016 9:36 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Intro to John 10:1-10

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 10:1-10

            Message of the verses:  “1 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber. 2 “But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. 3 “To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 “When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 “A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers." 6 This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them. 7 So Jesus said to them again, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 “All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 “The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”

            I have to say that after I listened to two sermons on these verses, especially the last on that there is a lot packed into these ten verses, and it is much deeper than one realizes as they just read through them.  In the last sermon that I listened to yesterday morning MacArthur spoke of a book that he was just finishing on the Parables of Jesus, and so I couldn’t help myself as I had to order it this morning.  He talks about how deep the parables actually are, yet how simply how Jesus taught with these stories.  Now saying this there is actually no parables in the gospel of John but in the KJV we do see the word parable is used in verse six “This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.”  We will get into that a bit later so we understand why this is not a parable.

            We have to understand that these verses we are looking at continue right after verse 41 of chapter nine, as Jesus is talking to the same crowd.  The formerly blind beggar is there along with the disciples, and the Pharisees, and probably a number of people just listening to Jesus as we see later on in chapter ten.  I have to say that I believe the reason that this chapter begins here is because Jesus is talking about sheep, and in verse 22 the scene changes to a different time period, but the subject of sheep is still in play.  It has been a fairly long time ago when I read a book by a man that I don’t remember his name, but he knew a lot about sheep.  The book was called “A Shepherd’s Look at the 23rd Psalm,” and in that book you learn a lot about sheep and you learn that sheep and people have a lot in common.  You also learn, as we will here that God is our Shepherd as seen in 23:1 where we read “The Lord is my Shepherd.”  We will also learn that not only is God the true Shepherd, but that there are many false shepherds in the world today trying to lead people, but they will only lead them astray. 

            The man’s name who wrote the Shepherd book is W. Phillip Keller.  I had to look it up so I would not keep thinking about it.  He is a wonderful author, as his books are easy to read and very meaningful.

            John MacArthur writes that Jesus has many names in the Word of God, “But perhaps His most endearing and intimate title is that of Shepherd.  Centuries before the Messiah came, the Old Testament had predicted that He would shepherd His people.”  Now I want to conclude this first edition of our introduction to these verses by quoting from a passage in the book of Ezekiel which speaks of the coming Messiah as a Shepherd, but also speak of the false shepherds in the nation of Israel.  I have three Spiritual Diaries dated 04/07/2015, 04/08/2015, and 04/09/2015 that talk about Ezekiel chapter 34, this entire chapter is about shepherds.  I want to quote 34:23 here and if you want to look up those SD’s they are on the blog.  “Then I will set over them one shepherd, My servant David [a reference to the Messiah, David’s descendant], and he will feed them; he will feed them himself and be their shepherd” We can also look at verse 24 “"And I, the LORD, will be their God, and My servant David will be prince among them; I the LORD have spoken.”  Let us also look at Micah 5:4 “And He will arise and shepherd His flock In the strength of the LORD, In the majesty of the name of the LORD His God. And they will remain, Because at that time He will be great To the ends of the earth.”  Zechariah predicts the death of the Messiah and writes the following in 13:7 “"Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd, And against the man, My Associate," Declares the LORD of hosts. "Strike the Shepherd that the sheep may be scattered; And I will turn My hand against the little ones.” 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  1 « A Psalm of David. » The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. 3 He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name’s sake. 4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. 5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. 6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember that the Lord is my Shepherd, who died for me.

Memory verses for today:  (Romans 6:4-5) “4.  Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life.  5. For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection;”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Touch Him” (John 20:17).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said, ‘Get thee behind me, Satan’”

Answer in our next SD. 

7/26/2016 10:32 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment