Friday, July 15, 2016

Unbelief is Disrespectful (John 9:31-34)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/15/2016 8:06 AM

My Worship Time                                                                        Focus:  Unbelief is Disrespectful

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 9:31-34

            Message of the verses:  “31 “We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him. 32 “Since the beginning of time it has never been heard that anyone opened the eyes of a person born blind. 33 “If this man were not from God, He could do nothing." 34 They answered him, "You were born entirely in sins, and are you teaching us?" So they put him out.”

            We are looking at an astounding testimony from this beggar who just a day ago had his eyes opened by the Lord Jesus Christ and no matter how intimidating these Pharisees were he would have none of it.  He says what is on his heart and what he says reminds the reader of what Warren Wiersbe says in his commentary on this section, what is found in the 27th Psalm.  I will quote this rather short Psalm of David and as you read over it see how what David has to say in it reflect on what this beggar had gone through.    1 A Psalm of David. » The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread? 2 When evildoers came upon me to devour my flesh, My adversaries and my enemies, they stumbled and fell. 3 Though a host encamp against me, My heart will not fear; Though war arise against me, In spite of this I shall be confident. 4 One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple. 5 For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; In the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock. 6 And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me, And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy; I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the LORD.

    7 Hear, O LORD, when I cry with my voice, And be gracious to me and answer me. 8 When You said, "Seek My face," my heart said to You, "Your face, O LORD, I shall seek." 9  Do not hide Your face from me, Do not turn Your servant away in anger; You have been my help; Do not abandon me nor forsake me, O God of my salvation! 10 For my father and my mother have forsaken me, But the LORD will take me up. 11 Teach me Your way, O LORD, And lead me in a level path Because of my foes. 12 Do not deliver me over to the desire of my adversaries, For false witnesses have risen against me, And such as breathe out violence. 13 I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the LORD In the land of the living. 14 Wait for the LORD; Be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the LORD.

            As we continue alone in this chapter we will see that Jesus will come to him after He heard that he was excommunicated and because of that conversation this man will be saved, but I can help but believe that God was speaking through this man, a man like all men born spiritually blind along with him being born physically blind and through him gives a sermon to these hypocritical Pharisees.  He was giving them a sermon that they needed to hear, but since they would not even listen to the Lord as we saw in chapter eight they surely would not listen to this formerly blind beggar either.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Religious bigots do not want to face either evidence or logic.  Their minds are made up.  Had the Pharisees honestly considered the facts, they would have seen that Jesus is the Son of God, and they could have trusted Him and been saved.

            “Again the leaders reviled the man and told him he was born in sin.  However, he would not die in his sins (see John 8:21, 24); because before this chapter ends, the beggar will come to faith in Jesus Christ.  All of us are born in sin (Ps. 51:5), but we need not live in sin (Col. 3:6-7) or die in our sins.  Faith in Jesus Christ redeems us from sin and gives us a life of joyful liberty.”

            John MacArthur talks about the Pharisees using a syllogism that is found in verse 16 “16 Therefore some of the Pharisees were saying, "This man is not from God, because He does not keep the Sabbath." But others were saying, "How can a man who is a sinner perform such signs?" And there was a division among them.”  He says that this man responds to this syllogism in our verses we are looking at today.  I have to admit that I had to look up this word to understand where he was going with it and this is what I found out.  “1. Logical argument involving three propositions, an example a formal deductive argument made up of a major premise, a minor premise, and a conclusion.  An example is, ‘All birds have feathers, penguins are birds, therefore penguins have feathers.’  2. Deductive reasoning ‘reasoning from the general to the specific.’  3.  Example of deduction, ‘an example of deductive reasoning.’  4. Specious argument, ‘a subtle piece of reasoning, or one that seems true but is actually false or deceptive.’” I have to believe that the fourth meaning is what MacArthur may have had in mind here.

            He goes on to say that this formerly blind beggar gives a syllogism of his own in the verses that we are looking at today.  Now that makes more sense to me as I read over these verses.  Point one is that God does not hear sinners, point two if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him.  Point three no one has ever opened the eyes of a man born blind.  Point four this man has to be from God because of the miracle he has done.  Now I do remember giving the definition of this word when we looked at verse sixteen, but I think that I understand it better now from what this man was saying to the Pharisees.  MacArthur uses another word in his commentary “With sarcasm and scorn, they retaliated with an ad hominem attack, implying that for him to have been blind from birth (or possibly his parents; cf. v. 2) must have been guilty of gross iniquity.  Ironically, through their disparaging words, they admitted the fact that this man who now saw had indeed been born blind—a point they had earlier denied (v. 18).  Then they put him out of the synagogue—extending to him the excommunication that his parents had narrowly avoided.”  Now getting back to this highlighted word or words:  Ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a logical fallacy in which an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the argument, or persons associated with the argument, rather than attacking the substance of the argument itself.”  I got this definition from Wikipedia. 

            MacArthur concludes “As this passage illustrates, when unbelieving skeptics investigate the miracles of Christ, or any other supernatural even recorded in the Bible, there can be only one outcome.  Unless the Holy Spirit opens their blind eyes, they will deny the veracity of such accounts no matter what the evidence.  The Pharisees in this passage were presented with living proof of Jesus’ divine power.  And yet, shrouded in unbelief, they attempted both to deny the undeniable and to refute the irrefutable.  As a former Pharisee (the apostle Paul) would later explain, ‘A natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised (1 Cor. 2:14; cf. John 6:44).” "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day (John 6:44).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I think that I mentioned a conversation we had in a recent Bible study about one of the men being upset about some of the comments that he saw on the web about the recent completion of the replication of Noah’s Ark which were upsetting to him, as they should have been.  However as I look at the things in this SD I can completely understand why these people wrote what they wrote for they were just like these Pharisees who because of their deadness in their spirit could not understand the things of God as they do not accept the things of the Spirit of God for they are foolishness to them.  The sad thing is that if they continue along this road they will miss going to heaven and end up in hell as the Word of God tells us.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to get the truth out so that the Spirit of God can call sinners to repentance and be saved.

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:1-3): “1. What shall we say then?  Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?  2. May it never be!  How shall we who died to sin still live in it?  3. Or do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus have been baptized into His death.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Peter” (Luke 9:33).

Today’s Bible question:  “The word ‘God’ and / or ‘Lord’ occur how many times in the Bible?”  (It’s a large number.)

Answer in our next SD.

7/15/2016 9:47 AM

             

No comments:

Post a Comment