Friday, July 22, 2016

Divine Punishment (Zech. 8:1-2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/22/2016 12:26 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Divine Punishment

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Zechariah 8:1-2

            Message of the verses:  “1 Then the word of the LORD of hosts came, saying, 2 “Thus says the LORD of hosts, ’I am exceedingly jealous for Zion, yes, with great wrath I am jealous for her.’”  “So the angel who was speaking with me said to me, "Proclaim, saying, ’Thus says the LORD of hosts, "I am exceedingly jealous for Jerusalem and Zion.  "But I am very angry with the nations who are at ease; for while I was only a little angry, they furthered the disaster’ (Zech. 1:14-15).”

            As you look at the verses in chapter eight and compare them with the verses in chapter one you can see that they are very similar.  One may wonder what the Jealously of God is all about, but it is one of God’s attributes, and with all of His attributes they are holy and perfect.  You can also see that God is upset in these verses we have looked at, and again that too is holy.  MacArthur answers why God is upset “Because God has a divine covenant with the people of His love and God has seen the nations, the nations pit at Israel and oppress Israel and go beyond the bounds that He had prescribed.  And that’s what He means in 1:15 when He says, I want them to have a little affliction, but you pushed it too far.  And He says there’s coming a time when my jealousy is going to result in judging your nations that overdid it with Israel.”

            We have to go back once again to when God called Abraham who is the father of Israel and in speaking to Abraham God is speaking concerning the nation of Israel when He says in verse three of Genesis chapter twelve “3 And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.’”  I have heard that you can chart the rise and fall of major nations by how they treated the Jews, and I believe it.  Nations today that are not treating the nation of Israel rightly just because they are Jews will answer to God, and I believe that will be sooner rather than later.

            I want to quote what MacArthur writes about the word jealous.  “The Hebrew says, ‘I will be jealous.’  And the word jealous, ‘quinethe.’ An interesting word, it really means redness of face.  When somebody gets strong emotion, their face gets red.  And God is saying I burn to do this.  God is saying I will some day literally burn with zeal for Israel.  When I can no longer bear the estrangement from my people brought about by their sin.  When I can no longer tolerate the efforts of Israel’s enemy to destroy her and some day my jealousy will reach out in vengeance against those nations that have persecuted my people.  And you know as well as I do that the day when the Lord sets up the kingdom is a day of terrible, fearful judgment on the nations of the world that are unbelieving, right?” 

            He goes on to help us explain about what God’s jealousy is all about:  “Now when the Bible speaks of the jealousy of God, it doesn’t mean envy, bu tit is the boundless zeal that comes from a God who loves holiness and hates sin, who loves His own people who are godly and hates the ungodly.  It is the zeal of righteousness.  It is the zeal of love, not envy.  And because His love for Zion is so great He is jealous of her account and His love against those who oppress her, manifests itself in judgment.” 

7/22/2016 1:01 PM

           

           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment