Monday, May 2, 2016

His Surety (John 7:17)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/2/2016 10:18 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                               Focus:  His Surety

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                            Reference:  John 7:17

            Message of the verse: 17 "If anyone is willing to do His will, he will know of the teaching, whether it is of God or whether I speak from Myself.”  “17 If anyone wants to do God’s will, he will know whether my teaching is from God or whether I merely speak on my own authority (Phillips).”  “17 Anyone who wants to do his will can test this teaching and know whether it’s from God or whether I’m making it up (Message).”

            John MacArthur writes “The Lord’s challenge to the crowd was simple:  If they would humble themselves before God’s Word (wherein His will is revealed) to know and obey it, they would come to a sure realization that His teaching was true.  That challenge still stands two millennia later.  The assurance promised in this verse is available to all genuine believers.  Such confidence comes through the Holy Spirit, who confirms the truth about Christ to the willing heart (1 John 2:20, 27), both internally, through His testimony (1 Cor. 2:10-15; cf. Rom. 8:16), and externally, through manifestations that demonstrate the truth of the gospel (John 3:2; 5:36; 10:38; Acts 2:22).”

            I suppose that one of the things that I admire about our Lord when He was on the earth in a human body was His boldness, which means to me that He had strength and courage to accomplish the task that the Father gave Him to do.  We see Jesus in this setting in the temple teaching the people on this Jewish feast of Tabernacles and we know that the “Jews” were trying to kill Him, He knew that they were trying to kill Him, and yet because of the timetable that He had, He had to be there doing what the Father willed Him to do at this particular time, six months or so before He would die on the cross for those who would come to Him to receive salvation.

            Let us look at some OT verses which are similar to this one in John’s Gospel.  “"But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul (Deut. 4:29).”  “"As for you, my son Solomon, know the God of your father, and serve Him with a whole heart and a willing mind; for the LORD searches all hearts, and understands every intent of the thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let you find Him; but if you forsake Him, He will reject you forever (1 Chron. 28:9).”  “How blessed are those who observe His testimonies, Who seek Him with all their heart (Psalm 119:2).”  “’You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart (Jer. 29:13).” 

            John MacArthur stated that “The personification of wisdom in Proverbs 1:20-23 illustrates the clear-cut challenge Jesus made in this verse—one that no false messiah would dare make.  Those who heed wisdom’s call, who are willing to do God’s will, will receive further knowledge:

            “20 Wisdom shouts in the street, She lifts her voice in the square; 21  At the head of the noisy streets she cries out; At the entrance of the gates in the city she utters her sayings: 22  "How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing And fools hate knowledge? 23 “Turn to my reproof, Behold, I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you.

            “But verses 24-33 reveal the fate of those who harden their hearts and are unwilling to turn to God:

            “24 “Because I called and you refused, I stretched out my hand and no one paid attention; 25 And you neglected all my counsel And did not want my reproof; 26 I will also laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your dread comes, 27 When your dread comes like a storm And your calamity comes like a whirlwind, When distress and anguish come upon you. 28 “Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently but they will not find me, 29 Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the LORD. 30 “They would not accept my counsel, They spurned all my reproof. 31 “So they shall eat of the fruit of their own way And be satiated with their own devices. 32 “For the waywardness of the naive will kill them, And the complacency of fools will destroy them. 33 “But he who listens to me shall live securely And will be at ease from the dread of evil."

            Just as in that day so it is today, the choice to believe the evidence of Jesus Christ being the Son of God, God come in the flesh, is up to you.  “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved.”  You must have faith to believe that Jesus is who He said He was and believe that He did for you what He came to earth to do, and that is to die in your place, take your sin upon Him as He suffered and died on the cross for you, taking the penalty that you and I deserved to take and then to die, be buried, and three days later rise from the grave, later on to be go back to heaven where He came from.  Think about those three hours when God took out His wrath on Him for you and for me, the wrath that He endured was to pay for our sins for us spending an eternity in hell, and He did that in three hours, so one can imagine the pain and suffering He went through.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today: I am thankful that the Holy Spirit of God called me to salvation, and it is my desire to live for the Lord, the One who purchased me out of the slave market of sin.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to give me the strength and courage that I need to do what I feel I have to do today.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “He loved the things he owned more that he loved Jesus” (Matthew 19:16-22).”

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Blessed be the Lord this day, which hath given unto David a wise son over this great people?’”

Answer in our next SD.

5/2/2016 11:05 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment