Saturday, May 21, 2016

The Divine Covanant (Zechariah 3:6-7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/21/2016 12:57 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  The Divine covenant

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Zechariah 3:6-7

            Message of the verses:  “6 And the angel of the LORD admonished Joshua, saying, 7 “Thus says the LORD of hosts, ’If you will walk in My ways and if you will perform My service, then you will also govern My house and also have charge of My courts, and I will grant you free access among these who are standing here.”

            Now the first thing is a reminder of the Lord of Hosts and that is the Lord of Heaven’s Armies which surely show His attribute of being all powerful.  Next what we see in these two verses is a covenant, a covenant between God and Israel.  In our last SD we saw how the Lord promised to cleanse the people of Israel and now that He has cleansed them He makes this covenant with them.  The covenant we see here has two conditions in it and notice the first condition which is that Israel is to walk in the ways of the Lord.  God wants them to live like Him, and we have to realize how extremely difficult that is.  Paul writes that we are to “be followers of me as I am of Christ,” showing that Paul followed Christ through the power of His indwelling Spirit and tells us that we can do that too.  Now I believe that this speaks of the future when the Lord will save all Israel as Paul also wrote about to the Romans.  It is my belief that when we get to a point in the tribulation period where there is a great earthquake in the city of Jerusalem and after that earthquake we something different that we saw in earlier earthquakes as seen in the book of Revelation where the people would curse God, knowing that He was the One causing these judgments.  However in this case we see that the Jewish people turned to the Lord as they too knew that He was bringing this judgment on them, but this would led them to repentance and it is at this time when I believe that those who survived this earthquake will all turn to the Lord and thus all Israel will be saved at that time.  It is my belief because of all the prophecies that pertain to the Millennial Kingdom that this is when this covenant will be fulfilled in its fullest.  Now the second element is they are to “keep God’s charge.”  MacArthur writes “and that means a faithful performance of obedience to His will.  So when Israel becomes like God and obedient to God that’s the condition upon which the cleansing takes place.  From God’s sovereignty it’s going to happen, but it’s going to happen when God graciously moves on the hearts of His people and they turn to Him and they receive salvation, the Spirit of God indwells them, they have a new capacity to be like God and a new desire to obey His will.  And then He says I’m going to give you two wonderful blessings, blessing number one:  you can judge My house and keep My courts.  In other words you will get back where you belong as My priest nation.”  Now as we read about the Millennial Kingdom prophecies we see that it is going to be the people of Israel who will bring the people of the world to know who Jesus Christ is during that time period and that is the function of a priest. 

            MacArthur goes on “And secondly, this is beautiful:  ‘I’ll give you places to walk among those who stand by, or these who stand by.’  Who were the ones who stood by God to do His bidding?  Angels.  So he says I’m going to let you roam the places where the angels roam.  Now what’s that talking about?  That’s talking about the eternal state, isn’t it?   You’re not only going to be special, as my priest nation, but when that’s all over you’re going to come be with me and roam My heavens like My angels do.”

            We have one more to look at and that is the divine Christ and we will try and get that done in our next SD.

5/21/2016 1:26 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment