Tuesday, May 31, 2016

PT-2 The Assertion (John 8:12)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/31/2016 9:44 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:   PT-2 The Assertion

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 8:12

            Message of the verses:  “12 Then Jesus again spoke to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world; he who follows Me will not walk in the darkness, but will have the Light of life."”

            In our last SD we talked about the fulfillment of prophecies that spoke of God being light, and that His Messiah would be light and how Jesus took the perfect opportunity to show those watching and listening to Him how He fulfills these prophecies.  Now in today’s SD we want to look at the last part of verse twelve “he who follows Me will not walk in darkness, but will have the Light of life.”

            Jesus’ statement of those who follow Him will not walk in darkness shows us that His light is eternal, unlike the glowing candelabras that were a part of this Jewish feast of Tabernacles.  Think of in the history of the Exodus how God was a light to them as they wondered throughout the wilderness in a pillar of fire.  Let us look at Exodus 40:36-38 “36  Throughout all their journeys whenever the cloud was taken up from over the tabernacle, the sons of Israel would set out; 37  but if the cloud was not taken up, then they did not set out until the day when it was taken up. 38 For throughout all their journeys, the cloud of the LORD was on the tabernacle by day, and there was fire in it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel.  Incidentally these are the last three verses in the book of Exodus.

            Now as we see the Lord asking people to follow Him, we know that this is not the first time that this offer has been made and we will look at a few times this offer was made in John’s gospel.  1:43 “The next day He purposed to go into Galilee, and He found Philip. And Jesus said to him, "Follow Me."”  10:4 “"When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice.”  10:27 “"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;”  12:26 “"If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him.”  21:19 “Now this He said, signifying by what kind of death he would glorify God. And when He had spoken this, He *said to him, "Follow Me!"”  21:22 “Jesus *said to him, "If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!"”

            Jesus promises that the one who follows Him will not walk in the darkness of sin, the world, and Satan, however will have the Light, and this Light produces spiritual life.  Believers, by following Jesus will reflect His Light so those in the world can see it as He said in Matthew 5:14 “"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden;” I have always remember my favorite President, President Reagan stated that United States was to be that bright and shinning light.  I suppose that if you look at our solar system we are in that Jesus would represent the Sun, as the planets orbit around the sun, and we as believers would represent the moon which gives reflected light to the earth at night, the light is not its own, but reflected from the sun.  Leon Morris writes “They, having kindled their torches at His bright flame, show to the world something of His light.”

            John MacArthur writes “Akoloutheo (follows) is sometimes used in a general sense to speak of the crows who followed Jesus.  But it can also refer, more specifically, to following Him as a true disciple (eg. 1:43; 10:4, 27; 12:26; Matt. 4:20, 22; 9:9; 10:38; 16:24; 19:27; Mark 9:38).  In that context, it has the connotation of complete submission to Jesus as Lord.  God does not accept a halfhearted following of Christ—of receiving Him as Savior, but not following Him as Lord.  The person who comes to Jesus comes to Him on His terms, or he does not come at all—a truth Jesus illustrated in Matthew 8:18-22 ‘18 Now when Jesus saw a crowd around Him, He gave orders to depart to the other side of the sea. 19 Then a scribe came and said to Him, "Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go." 20 Jesus said to him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." 21 Another of the disciples said to Him, "Lord, permit me first to go and bury my father." 22 But Jesus said to him, "Follow Me, and allow the dead to bury their own dead."’

            “An even more striking illustration of that principle is found in Jesus’ dialogue with the rich young ruler: ‘18 A ruler questioned Him, saying, "Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?" 19 And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. 20  "You know the commandments, ’DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER.’" 21 And he said, "All these things I have kept from my youth." 22  When Jesus heard this, He said to him, "One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." 23 But when he had heard these things, he became very sad, for he was extremely rich. 24 And Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for those who are wealthy to enter the kingdom of God! 25 “For it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." 26 They who heard it said, "Then who can be saved?" 27 But He said, "The things that are impossible with people are possible with God’ (Luke 18:18-27).”

            I want to give a couple of quotes from the MacArthur Study Bible on these two sections of Scripture.  When I listened to his sermon from 1970 he had made some comments that I wanted to quote, but when I looked on his website I could not look at this sermon for some reason.  He writes the following from his study Bible:  “8:21 permit me first to go and bury my father.  This does not mean that the man’s father was already dead.  The phrase ‘I must bury my father’ was a common figure of speech meaning, ‘Let me wait until I receive my inheritance.’

            Now as far as the rich young ruler Jesus knows all things as mentioned in the second chapter of John and He knew that this man did not or could not keep all of the commandments but Jesus did not argue with Him about this, but He got to the root of the problem which was that his riches were his god and did not want to stop worshiping his wealth,

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  To follow the Lord and allow His Light to show me when I am moving into the darkness of the world.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Do a better job at my memorizing my verses so that I can begin to meditate on them.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Corinthians 12:7-9a 7. Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8. Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9.  And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Samuel” (1 Samuel 3:10).

Today’s Bible question:  “In what city did Paul fight with beasts?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/31/2016 10:52 AM

             

No comments:

Post a Comment