Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Intro to Zechariah chapter Four


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/10/2016 11:03 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Intro. To Zech. Four

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Zech. 4:1-3

            Message of the verses:  “1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned and roused me, as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 He said to me, "What do you see?" And I said, "I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side."”

            We have been looking at the study of the OT prophets for a long time as we began looking at the book of Isaiah, the very first OT prophet on July 2, 2013, and we also began to look at the book of Daniel on that very same day, so it has been a while we have been looking at these very wonderful OT prophets.  If we go back to the book of Genesis we read that God would come to the Garden of Eden where Adam and Eve lived after God created them and walk with them and although we don’t know what they spoke of we have to believe that God was telling them about who He was and all of this happened with the curse of sin as that came later on.  After sin came in the third chapter of Genesis all things changed and man could not talk freely with God as he did before the fall.  It is still God’s purpose to speak to His creation although it was different after the fall.  By the time we get to the 12th chapter of Genesis the world was a lot different than it was when God first created it as the flood had come to change many things on planet earth, but as we have seen in our study of Genesis God began to talk to Abram, the man that He would use to begin the nation of Israel along with other nations, but the focus in the OT is on the nation of Israel, for God would use Israel to do things which would cause man to better understand who He was.  To Israel the Scriptures were given, to Israel the promised Messiah would come through and when He came in the Person of Jesus Christ man once again would be able to talk to God.  As we begin this fourth chapter of Zechariah we see that being a prophet in the OT times was a great burden on their physical being as Zechariah had already seen three visions and before the fourth vision is given to him in chapter the interpreting angel would have to awaken him.  When we studied the book of Daniel we saw a very similar situation “8  So I was left alone and saw this great vision; yet no strength was left in me, for my natural color turned to a deathly pallor, and I retained no strength (Daniel 10:8).”  “15 When he had spoken to me according to these words, I turned my face toward the ground and became speechless. 16 And behold, one who resembled a human being was touching my lips; then I opened my mouth and spoke and said to him who was standing before me, "O my lord, as a result of the vision anguish has come upon me, and I have retained no strength. 17 “For how can such a servant of my lord talk with such as my lord? As for me, there remains just now no strength in me, nor has any breath been left in me." 18 Then this one with human appearance touched me again and strengthened me. 19 He said, "O man of high esteem, do not be afraid. Peace be with you; take courage and be courageous!" Now as soon as he spoke to me, I received strength and said, "May my lord speak, for you have strengthened me’ (Daniel 10:15-19).”  We get an idea of how difficult it was for the prophets as we read these verses from both Zechariah and also from Daniel.  When we read from the 11th chapter of the book of Hebrews we also see how difficult it was on others, as it tells of those who gave their lives to serve God. 

            Zechariah was not given a fourth vision in this fourth chapter and we will begin to look at it in our next SD, but first I want to quote from Dr. Wiersbe at the end of his introductory comments for this fourth chapter of Zechariah.  “The flippant jovial manner in which some of God’s people speak of prophetic matters today makes us wonder if they have really seen what the Word of God communicates about the future.”  Eschatology, the study of the end times of which Zechariah and Daniel have much to say about, was the vehicle that the Lord used to bring me to Himself, and I have loved to study it and continue to love to study it, but when I read about some of the things that these prophets have gone through I have to remember what it cost them so that I can learn about what will happen in the future, and that the return of Jesus Christ to receive all believers of the church age in the Rapture takes on new meaning to me when I think of the cost from these wonderful men.  I never want to take that for granted.

5/10/2016 11:35 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment