Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Contrary (John 7:41b-44)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/17/2016 9:27 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                         Focus:  The Contrary

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                                Reference:  John 7:41b-44

            Message of the verses:  “Still others were saying, "Surely the Christ is not going to come from Galilee, is He? 42 “Has not the Scripture said that the Christ comes from the descendants of David, and from Bethlehem, the village where David was?" 43 So a division occurred in the crowd because of Him. 44 Some of them wanted to seize Him, but no one laid hands on Him.”

            A while ago I mentioned that the study that I am now doing in Zechariah and this study in the seventh chapter of John have some things that are similar in them.  Both in Zechariah and also in John the Feast of Tabernacles is mentioned and some of the things that Jesus does in John’s gospel are fulfilled from the writings of Haggai who is a contemporary of Zechariah.  This morning I read through Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on John 7:37-52 and it also mentions some similar things that Haggai wrote about that are actually quoted in the book of Hebrews and so I think that when we finish the our study on the 7th chapter of John that I will quote from Wiersbe’s commentary which will be rather long, but well worth the read.  I still have a desire to study more on how this event in John’s gospel has to do with Zechariah’s writings and pray that the Lord will open my eyes to see this in a better light. 

            We will be looking at those who are skeptical of whether or not Jesus is who He claims to be, and that is the same problem in our world today.  We see that part of their skepticism is because they don’t take the time to research more about who Jesus is and where He came from, that is where He was born for they state “Surely the Christ is not going to come from Galilee, is He?”  It runs in my mind that there is a prophecy in the OT that states that Jesus would be called a Galilean.    Well I was a bit mistaken and in my research I came up with Matthew 2:23 which says “and came and lived in a city called Nazareth. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophets: "He shall be called a Nazarene."”  So I tried to find that word “Nazarene” in the OT but could not find it so I looked at Warren Wiersbe’s commentary and found the following “But perhaps Matthew, led by the Spirit, saw a spiritual connection between the name ‘Nazarene’ and the Hebrew word netzer, which means ‘a branch or shoot.’  Several prophets apply this title to Jesus (see Isa. 4:2; 11:1; Jer. 23:5; 33:15; Zech. 3:8; 6:12-13).”  One more thing when Nicodemus is speaking toward the end of this chapter he is asked by the Pharisees to search the Scriptures to see if any prophet has ever came out of Galilee and there is no answer given, but the prophet Jonah was born in Galilee and of course Nazareth is in what is called Galilee.  Ok I think we will not follow this rabbit trail any further.

            We know from our studies in the OT that Jesus was indeed to be born in Bethlehem and was to be a descendant of David which both Matthew and Luke show in the early part of their Gospels.  Matthew’s shows the line of Joseph and Luke’s shows the line of Mary as both were descendants of King David.  When we compare these lines we see that Mary’s line came through Nathan while Matthew’s line came through Solomon.

            Now there obviously became a disagreement between these two groups of people as to who Jesus was and this incident proves what Jesus stated earlier in other gospels that this would happen, and it still happens today.  “51 “Do you suppose that I came to grant peace on earth? I tell you, no, but rather division; 52 for from now on five members in one household will be divided, three against two and two against three. 53  "They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law’ (Luke 12:51-53).”

            John MacArthur concludes “For the third time since Jesus arrived in Jerusalem (cf. vv. 30, 32), an unsuccessful attempt was made to seize Him.  As was the case with the earlier attempt by some of the crowd (v. 30), ‘no one laid hands on Him,’ because the time was not right in God’s plan.”  He writes this in reference to verse 44:  “Some of them wanted to seize Him, but no one laid hands on Him.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Once again I go way back into the early days of my walk with Jesus as I listened to a talk by a Pastor that taught in the church that my kids went to school at, as they had a Christian school there, and to a Pastor that my mother used to listen to on the radio many mornings and he was talking about how as we grow up in the Lord the importance of being able to compare Scripture with Scripture to see greater truth in the Word of God as you do that.  A good concordance helps this process too.

My Steps of Faith for today:  Learn more about Jesus, trust Him to cause what I learn about Him to give growth in my walk with Him, and learn to love Him more.

Memory verse for the week:  2 Corinthians 12:7 “7 Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself!”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question: “David” (2 Samuel 18:33).

Today’s Bible question: “Jesus predicted the destruction of what unrepentant city in Matthew 11:23-24?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/17/2016 10:42 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment