Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Contemplative (John 7:50-52)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/19/2016 2:29 PM

My Worship Time                                                                                  Focus: The Contemplative

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 7:50-52

            Message of the verses:  “50 Nicodemus (he who came to Him before, being one of them) said to them, 51 “Our Law does not judge a man unless it first hears from him and knows what he is doing, does it?" 52 They answered him, "You are not also from Galilee, are you? Search, and see that no prophet arises out of Galilee."”

            I mentioned in our last SD that the Pharisees were bragging about what they thought was true, but in fact was not true and that is that none of the other Pharisees had believed in Jesus Christ.  We mentioned that only two Pharisees as far as is know from history of the Word of God ever believed in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and that would be Nicodemus and later on Saul of Tarsus who later became known as the apostle Paul.  Nevertheless many even of the rulers believed in Him, but because of the Pharisees they were not confessing Him, for fear that they would be put out of the synagogue (John 12:42).”  Now we will look at John 19:39 “Nicodemus, who had first come to Him by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds weight.”  Now perhaps he was not a believer at this time, but later on he became a believer.  Perhaps the Lord was even working on his heart at this time as we see what he said in verses 50-51.

            Now we can understand from verse 52 that his fellow members of the Sanhedrin were not believing Jesus and it seems to me that they were not going to listen to Nicodemus even though he as one of the most respected men who served on the Sanhedrin.  Now we mentioned that Jonah came from a town near Nazareth and John MacArthur writes “Some scholars believe that Nahum and Hosea, and possibly other prophets, may also have been from Galilee.”  These men thought that they knew it all, but when you think about what they said in verse 52 you find out that they did not know it all. 

            I mentioned that I am going to quote from Warren Wiersbe’s commentary in our next SD and that will conclude our study of chapter seven.  Well I should say that we do have one more verse as it is connected with the first eleven verses of chapter eight but we will talk about those verses when we begin the eight chapter of John.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today: I have from time to time said some things like the Pharisees said and were embarrassed by saying something that was not all together true even though I thought it was true when I said it.  I think you have to add this up to pride, something that is not good.

 My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to continue to guide me in the ways that I should go.

Memory verse for the week:  2 Cor. 12:7 “Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a throne in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Peter” (Acts 12:1-4).

Today’s Bible question:  “What was the largest weight among the Hebrews used for measuring gold and silver?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/19/2016 2:53 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment