Thursday, June 16, 2016

Being Made Free (John 8:32b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/16/2016 8:47 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                    Focus:  Being Made Free

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                          Reference:  John 8:32b

            Message of the verses:  “and the truth will make you free.”  I have to say that this SD will be rather short, but hopefully meaningful.

            I thought that I would look through the NT for meaningful verses with the word free in them.  That word is used 39 times in the NT (NASB), but not all of them go along with what we are looking for so I will sort through them and quote the ones that I think go along with our verse today. 

“Ac 15:29  that you abstain from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication; if you keep yourselves free from such things, you will do well. Farewell."”

“Ro 5:15 But the free gift is not like the transgression. For if by the transgression of the one the many died, much more did the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abound to the many.”

“Ro 5:16  The gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned; for on the one hand the judgment arose from one transgression resulting in condemnation, but on the other hand the free gift arose from many transgressions resulting in justification.”

“Ro 6:20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.

Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ro 7:3 So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulterous; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulterous though she is joined to another man.

Ro 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death.

Ro 8:21 that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God.

Ga 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.

 

            Okay we will now go onto some commentary on this half verse, but remember one thing that believers can even be slaves and yet they are free, for if the Son sets you free you will be free indeed.

            In his commentary John MacArthur writes about some of the things that believers are free from:  this “includes freedom from the bondage of falsehood, Satan (John 17:15; 2 Cor. 4:4; 1 John 5:18), condemnation (Rom. 8:1), judgment (John 3:18; 5:24), spiritual ignorance (8:12), spiritual death (8:51), and, most significantly in this context (v. 34), sin (Rom. 6:18, 22).”  “18  and having been freed from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.”  “22  But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you derive your benefit, resulting in sanctification, and the outcome, eternal life.” 

            Let us look at Luke 19:10 to see what it was that Jesus came to planet earth:  “"For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost."”  Also we look at Luke 4:18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, Because he anointed me to preach good tidings to the poor: He hath sent me to proclaim release to the captives, And recovering of sight to the blind, To set at liberty them that are bruised (Phillips).” Galatians 5:1 tells true believers “Ga 5:1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.”  The book of Galatians has a similar theme as the book of Romans, “Justification by faith.”  The Galatians had a problem totally believing that and that is why Paul wrote to them, as seen in 5:1.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  “Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus.”  I chose this verse because it tells me that although Christ set me free from sin that there is still a battle going on inside me, some call it a battle with the “old nature” while others call it the “flesh” but regardless of its name there is still a battle going on inside of me, and Romans 6:11 tells me that I am dead to sin, that is in position and I need to remember that each and every day of my life on planet earth.  Jesus set me free and for that I am thankful, and Jesus will give me the power to battle against the world, the flesh and the devil.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember Christ set me free, and live like it through His power.

Memory verses for the week:  (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) “7. Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8. Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,” most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast in my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  10. Therefore I am well content with weakness, with insults, with distresses, with persecution, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Pontius Pilate” (Luke 3:1)

Today’s Bible question:  “Who had the longer career as a prophet:  Jeremiah or Ezekiel?

Answer in our next SD.

6/16/2016 9:31 AM

           

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment