Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Doubting (John 8:52-58)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/30/2016 7:30 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  The Doubting

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                       Reference:  John 8:52-58

            Message of the verses:  “52 The Jews said to Him, "Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ’If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.’ 53 “Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?" 54 Jesus answered, "If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me, of whom you say, ’He is our God’; 55 and you have not come to know Him, but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I will be a liar like you, but I do know Him and keep His word. 56 “Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad." 57 So the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?" 58 Jesus said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am.’”

            We looked at verse 51 in our last SD which says “"Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death."”  We know that what Jesus was saying to them spoke of Spiritual death, and like other times in the gospel of John the Jews mixed up the physical and the spiritual, which is what they did this time as seen from their answer “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ’If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.’ 53 “Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham, who died? The prophets died too; whom do You make Yourself out to be?"”  Keeping the Spiritual and the physical is very important as we have seen through different places in the book of John.  MacArthur writes “Neither the revered patriarch Abraham nor any of the prophets had the power to defeat death, since they had all died.  Flinging Jesus’ own words back at Him, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death,’ the Jewish leaders indignantly demanded, ‘Surely You are not greater than our father Abraham’ or ‘the prophets’ who ‘died; whom do You make Yourself out to be?’  Or, ‘Just who do You think You are?’  The tone of their questioning is obviously abusive; they were sure that only a demon-possessed person could make such an outlandish claim.”

            Jesus answer to this was to repeat what He had said in verses 49-50 which says “49  Jesus answered, "I do not have a demon; but I honor My Father, and you dishonor Me. 50  "But I do not seek My glory; there is One who seeks and judges.”  Jesus answer now is “If I glorify Myself, My glory is nothing; it is My Father who glorifies Me.”  As mentioned in our last SD Jesus knew what the plan of the Father was for Him, and by doing what His Father desired Him to do would bring glory to Him as the Father would glorify Him through the keeping of His plan for Him.  MacArthur adds “Jesus’ claims were not those of a demoniac or a maniac, because the glory He possesses was not evil or satanic, but divine.  It was His by His eternal relation to His Father (17:24)—the very One of whom the Jewish leaders said ‘He is our God.’  For them to piously claim to know God while blaspheming and rejecting His Son was ludicrous.  Therefore Jesus, pointing out the obvious again, plainly told them, ‘You have not come to know Him.’  Despite their outward pretense, they did not know God; they were children of Satan (v. 44).  Their delusion was that they were God’s children and that Jesus was in league with the Devil (cf. Matt. 12:24).”

            Jesus did not back down as He states “but I know Him; and if I say that I do not know Him, I will be a liar like you, but I do know Him and keep His word.”  By saying that He did not know the Father would make Him out to be a liar, and this is something that is impossible for God to do for it is not in His nature like it was in the nature of Satan whom Jesus said of Him “Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies (44b).” 

            Now, to me this next statement that Jesus makes is very important for me to understand and so once again I will quote from John MacArthur.  “In contrast to their rejection of Him, the Lord told them, ‘Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.’  Hebrews 11:13 records that Abraham saw and welcomed Christ’s day, ‘All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.’  He saw in his son Isaac the beginning of God’s fulfillment of His covenant with Him (Gen. 12:1-3; 15:1-21; 17:1-8), which would culminate in the coming of the Messiah.  Once again (cf. vv. 39-40), Jesus contrasted His opponents’ behavior with that of their patriarch, proving that they were not Abraham’s spiritual children.  They wanted to murder the very One in whose coming Abraham rejoiced (cf. v. 37).”  My thoughts on Abraham rejoicing to see Christ’s day were that they must have talked about it after Abraham died, but what MacArthur and also Dr. Wiersbe said (which I quoted in an earlier SD), make more sense to me now.  Another thing that came to my mind was what we read about when the Lord came down to talk with Abraham along with two angels who were sent to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah.  During that time we see that the preincarnate Jesus Christ was the one talking to Abraham.  This happened in Genesis chapter 18.

            The next thing that these Jewish leaders said to Jesus was “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”  The Jews were twisting His Words for Jesus did not say that He saw Abraham, but that Abraham rejoiced (prophetically) to see Him. 

            The next statement that Jesus makes is a direct claim to be God, and we can go back to the book of Exodus to see the name that Jesus was claiming to be.  “13 Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ’The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ’What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?" 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ’I AM has sent me to you’ (Exodus 3:13-14).”  This name for God was one that the Jews would not even speak for fear that they would blaspheme against God which would break the first of the Ten Commandments.  We usually see the word “Jehovah” in our English Bibles or it is also referred as Yahweh, however in the Hebrew there are no vowels in it because there are no vowels in the Hebrew language.  At any rate Jesus had just told these Jews that you are looking right into the face of God, the very God you say that you know.  John MacArthur quotes Homer Kent who explains “By using the timeless ‘I am’ rather than ‘I was,’ Jesus conveyed not only the idea of existence prior to Abraham, but timelessness—the very nature of God himself (Exod. 3:14).” 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have to admit that there have been far too many times in my life when I have jumped to the wrong conclusions and it has gotten me into trouble.  Unfortunately for these Jews that were talking to Jesus that is what they did.  As I am growing older I am trying not to jump to conclusions but wait and think before I open my mouth.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Think before I speak.

Memory verse for today (Romans 6:1) “What shall we say? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase?”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “John the Baptist”  (Mark 1:6).

Today’s Bible question:  “In which book is the story of Gideon told?”

Answer in our next SD.

            A little note from where I am getting these Bible questions:  They come from a game that I have had for a long time, and on each card there are seven questions so it takes one week to look at the questions on each card.  The question a couple days ago was “Where was it said ‘The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another?”  The answer according to what was on the card was “Mizpah.”  I have been asked to explain the answer, but I think after doing a little research that the answer given on the card is a bit misleading.  Let me quote from my Spiritual Diary on Jan. 26, 2006 ““47 Laban named it in Aramaic, Yegar-sahadutha (Witness Monument); Jacob echoed the naming in Hebrew, Galeed (Witness Monument).

48 Laban said, "This monument of stones will be a witness, beginning now, between you and me." (That’s why it is called Galeed—Witness Monument.)  49 It is also called Mizpah (Watchtower) because Laban said, "GOD keep watch between you and me when we are out of each other’s sight.  50 If you mistreat my daughters or take other wives when there’s no one around to see you, God will see you and stand witness between us."

51 Laban continued to Jacob, "This monument of stones and this stone pillar that I have set up is a witness, 52 a witness that I won’t cross this line to hurt you and you won’t cross this line to hurt me.”

            Both Jacob and Laban give names, which mean the same, to this monument and its meaning is “Witness Monument” and later on Laban also calls it “Watchtower.”  Laban gives it this name because he wants the God of Jacob to watch over Jacob and himself to see if either one would break this covenant that they have made with each other. 

            I am not exactly sure why it is that Laban is actually acting like he has a bit of sense, but he does want Jacob to take care of his daughters and not to marry any other women, so I guess that there may have been a spark of good in Laban after all.  I don’t think that this is why Laban had set out to get to Jacob and his family, but God protected Jacob in order to protect the covenant that God had made with Abraham, a covenant that was confirmed when the Lord alone walked through the burning sacrifices and so this covenant was an unconditional covenant that God made with Abraham and so He could not let it be broken.

            My conclusion that Mizpah is not really a place, but the name of the heap of stones which make up a covenant between Laban and Jacob.

6/30/2016 8:35 AM      

No comments:

Post a Comment