Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Continuing in the Word (John 8:31b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/14/2016 12:22 PM

My Worship Time                                                                          Focus:  Continuing in the Word

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 8:31b

            Message of the verse:  “"If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;”

            As we look at our verse I want to quote what John MacArthur writes about the word “are.”  The present tense of the verb eimi (are) suggests that Jesus was not telling them the requirements for becoming a disciple; He did not say, ‘If you continue in My word you will become My genuine disciples.’  Instead, He declared that the nature of true discipleship consists of continued obedience to His Word.  Scripture repeatedly affirms that only those who obey Christ are truly His disciples.”    

Let us first of all look at some verses that show us that true believers will continue to obey the Lord and His Word.  “"For whoever does the will of My Father who is in heaven, he is My brother and sister and mother’ (Matt. 12:50).”  “"If you love Me, you will keep My commandments (John 14:15).”  “21  "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."  23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24 “He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me (John 14:21, 23-24).”  "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love (John 15:10).”  “4  The one who says, "I have come to know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; 5  but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: 6 the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked.”  24 The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. (1 John 3:24a).”    For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome (1 John 5:3).”

             I have heard people in the past say that they have accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior, but later on they accepted Him as their Lord.  This cannot be for a true believer will always accept the Lordship of the Lord Jesus Christ.  What they may have been thinking was that they just figured out that He was their Lord and so they began to obey Him.  MacArthur writes “Surrender to Jesus’ lordship is not an addendum to the biblical terms of salvation; the summons to submission is at the heart of the gospel invitation throughout Scripture.  It is not possible to be saved without confessing Christ as Lord, and giving willing obedience to His lordship.”

            MacArthur adds the following on the word disciple “Disciples translates the plural form of the noun mathetes.  The word primarily refers to a learner, one who adheres to the teaching of the spiritual leader.”  “"Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS’ (Matthew 11:29).”  I think that sometimes we confuse the difference between the word disciple and apostle, as there were only a certain number of the apostles of Jesus Christ, while there were many disciples.  MacArthur adds “True disciples are Word oriented.  They recognize that it is ‘the word of His grace, which is able to build [them] up’ (Acts 20:32). They understand the importance of being ‘doers’ of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves’ (James 1:22).  True believers are ‘like newborn babies, long[ing] for the pure mild of the word, so that by it [they] may grow in respect to salvation’ (1 Peter 2:2.).”

            So as we look at verse 31 in total we begin to realize that there is a difference between those who claim to have believed in Jesus as stated in verse 30 with those who are true believers.  As we continue our journey through chapter eight we will see that those who said they believed in Jesus really were not true believers.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  My prayer is that the Lord may bring people into my life who think they are true believers but are not and willing to listen to the true message of the gospel.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  “always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence;”

Memory verses for the week:  (2 Cor. 12:7-10) “7. Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8.  Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9.  And He said, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’ most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  10. Therefore I am well content with weakness, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions with difficulties for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “John the Baptist” (Mark 6:18).

Today’s Bible question:  “Elisha caused the waters of what river to be parted?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/14/2016 1:07 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment