Thursday, June 2, 2016

PT-1 of The Answer (John 8:14-20)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/2/2016 8:28 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  The Answer PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                       Reference:  John 8:14-19

            Message of the verses:  “14 Jesus answered and said to them, "Even if I testify about Myself, My testimony is true, for I know where I came from and where I am going; but you do not know where I come from or where I am going. 15 “You judge according to the flesh; I am not judging anyone. 16  "But even if I do judge, My judgment is true; for I am not alone in it, but I and the Father who sent Me. 17  "Even in your law it has been written that the testimony of two men is true. 18 “I am He who testifies about Myself, and the Father who sent Me testifies about Me." 19 So they were saying to Him, "Where is Your Father?" Jesus answered, "You know neither Me nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also."”

            We will once again look at the commentary of Warren Wiersbe for the verses here and then will probably take two more days to discuss these verses further as we look at the commentary from John MacArthur then to help us understand what Jesus is saying here in His answer to the Pharisees.

            “One of the key words in this section is witness; it is used seven times.  Jesus made it clear that their witness was not dependable because their judgment was faulty.  They judged on the basis of externals, mere human judgment, but He judged on the basis of spiritual knowledge.  The way they judged the woman taken in adultery proved that they neither understood the Law nor their own sinful hearts.

            “Since they wanted to use the Law to condemn the woman and trap the Savior, Jesus also used the Law to answer them.  He quoted a principle found in Deuteronomy 17:6 and 19:15, as well as Numbers 35:30, that the testimony of two men was required to validate a judgment.  Jesus had those two testimonies: He gave witness and so did His Father.  We have seen from John 5:37-47 that the witness of the Father is found in the Word of God.

            “How tragic that these experts in the Law did not even know their own Messiah as He stood before them!  They claimed to know the Law of God, but they did not know the God of the Law.  They did not have His Word abiding in their hearts (John 5:42).  They did not know the Father, and therefore did not know the Son.

            “Jesus never really answered their question “Where is Thy Father?’  The word father is used twenty-one times in this chapter, so Jesus did not avoid the issue but faced it honestly.  He knew that their ‘father’ was not God—but the devil!  These men were religious, and yet they were the children of the devil!

            “Their further attempts to arrest Jesus were again thwarted by the Father, for it was not yet our Lord’s hour when He should give His life.  When the servant of God is in the will of God, he can have courage and peace as he does his duty.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have some friends who minister in Turkey and in our world today Turkey is no friend of Jews or Christians and I suppose it would be easy for them to just leave, but as I look at this last “Warren Wiersbe statement” I can understand why they have faith to stay there.  Living the Christian life in a place where it is full of darkness takes much faith in the Lord and as our country and world get darker my prayer is that the Lord will give me the courage and strength to remain faithful to Him and to the cause of Christ.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  “Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15).”  It is my desire to rightly divide the Word of God to see the things in it that He desires me to see and to live in the truth that is found there.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Corinthians 12:7-9a 7. Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8. Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9. And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Sarah” (Genesis 12:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “Which state was known as the northern kingdom?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/2/2016 9:03 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment