Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Knowing the Truth (John 8:32a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/15/2016 9:48 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Knowing the Truth

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 8:32a

            Message of the verses:  “and you will know the truth,”  I know that there are no coincidences when dealing with God as He plans our lives, but there are times when things just seem to fit together and one of those times is this morning.  As I was posting one of my earlier SD’s onto my blog it happens to be titled “God’s Truth,” and it is from 2 Timothy 2:19 written in August of 2002.  I think that I will share at least a part of it here before we look at our verse for today:  Message of the verse:  “But God’s truth stands firm like a foundation stone with this inscription: ‘The Lord know those who are his,’ and ‘Those who claim they belong to the Lord must turn away from all wickedness.’”  (NLT)

            “Paul has been speaking or writing about those who are false teachers, who are teaching their poison to them who would listen, and now Paul affirms to Timothy that God truth continues to stand firm and that he need not worry that the elect will be fooled by these lies that the false teachers are telling.  God’s truth has these inscriptions on it, 1) The Lord know those who are His, and 2) Those who claim they belong to the Lord must turn away from all wickedness.  God knows who are His and those who are truly His will want to and be able to turn away from wickedness.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  In other letters that Paul has written he tells believers to check and make sure that they belong to God.  It is the best thing in the whole big wide world to belong to God; there can be nothing else that can compare to this.  God does know His own children and I can rejoice in the knowledge that I am one of His, not because of what I have done, but because of what God has done for me.  I have also had the desire to do good thing ever since God saved me, I have not always done good things though, but the desire is still there and I am thankful for the fact that God has not given up on me.”

            In John 1:17 we read the following “For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.”    When we studied this verse in December of last year we learned that in the prologue of John’s gospel that he wrote about things that he would explain later on in his book and would make them clearer to us and this is one of those times, for as we look at this verse we see that grace and truth go together.  I suppose you could say that in order to understand the truth of God we have to have His grace.  Why would I say that?  Well there are many non-believers who read the Word of God and many of the things that they get out of it are completely wrong, as I have said before, they are reading someone else’s mail.  However a believer who has the Holy Spirit in them who was used to write the Word of God will help us better understand the truths of Scripture.  Jesus is saying in verse 32a that in order to know Him you have to know the truth about Him, you have to listen to His Words that He spoke for His Words just like Himself are truth for truth is who God is, He cannot lie.

            When we looked at the introduction to this section we saw that people were looking for the truth, and are still looking for the truth, but you cannot find real truth apart from the Word of God.  Yes there are some things that people understand that are true such as two plus two equals four, but that kind of truth is not important for eternal life, and happiness and joy, and knowing that your sins are forgiven and you are on your way to heaven. 

            John MacArthur concludes this section in his commentary by writing “Scripture is the revelation of divine truth.  In it Jesus Christ, truth incarnate, is revealed, and through it the Holy Spirit teaches the truth to believers. Thus Jesus prayed, ‘Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth’ (John 17:17; cf. Ps. 119:142, 151, 160).  The all-sufficient Scripture is for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work’ (2 Tim. 3:16-17).  And not just ‘the man of God’ the preacher, but all who are taught by him.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am so thankful for the Word of God as it explains so much to me when I read and study it each and every day.  God’s Word gives me truth to know what will happen in the end of this world even though it does not give direct dates we know that the things it talks about during the end times will happen, that eventually sin will be completely dealt with as we are studying in the fifth chapter of Zechariah, and that eventually this planet that we live on, and the stars and sun we see each day and night will all be gone as the Word of God tells us in Peter’s second letter, and then there will be a new heaven and a new earth for all who have trusted Jesus Christ to live in.  That is all truth and that is all comforting to me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to continue to show me His glory.

Memory verses for the week:  (2 Corinthians 12:7-10) “7.  Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8.  Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9 And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’ most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast in my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  10. Therefore I am well content with weakness, with insults, with distress, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Jordan” (2 Kings 13-14).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who was the governor of Judaea during the time of Christ?’

Answer in our next SD.

6/15/2016 10:47 AM 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment