Monday, June 20, 2016

Their Claim to Be Abraham's Physical Children (John 8:37-38)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/20/2016 9:36 AM

My Worship Time                                     Focus: Their Claim to be Abraham’s Physical Children

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 8:37-38

            Message of the verses:  “37 “I know that you are Abraham’s descendants; yet you seek to kill Me, because My word has no place in you.  38 "I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father.’”

            Let us begin by looking back at John 8:33 “33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham’s descendants and have never yet been enslaved to anyone; how is it that You say, ’You will become free’?”  Jesus is answering their claim in verse 37 recognizing that they were Abraham’s physical descendants.  Let us look at a few other verses that go along with this:  “Luke 13:16 “"And this woman, a daughter of Abraham as she is, whom Satan has bound for eighteen long years, should she not have been released from this bond on the Sabbath day?"”  Luke 19:9 “And Jesus said to him, "Today salvation has come to this house, because he, too, is a son of Abraham.”  Acts 3:25 “"It is you who are the sons of the prophets and of the covenant which God made with your fathers, saying to Abraham, ’AND IN YOUR SEED ALL THE FAMILIES OF THE EARTH SHALL BE BLESSED.’”  Acts 7:2 “And he said, "Hear me, brethren and fathers! The God of glory appeared to our father Abraham when he was in Mesopotamia, before he lived in Haran.”  Acts 13:26 “"Brethren, sons of Abraham’s family, and those among you who fear God, to us the message of this salvation has been sent.”  “Romans 11:1-2 “I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.”  “2 Cor. 11:22 “Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I.”

            Jesus knew that these people, who were physical descendants of Abraham believed that their entrance into God’s eternal kingdom was based on this fact, but Paul tells us that not all Israel is Israel, and of course he was speaking about the Israel which did not believe and those who did believe.  “6 But it is not as though the word of God has failed. For they are not all Israel who are descended from Israel; 7 nor are they all children because they are Abraham’s descendants, but: "THROUGH ISAAC YOUR DESCENDANTS WILL BE NAMED." 8 That is, it is not the children of the flesh who are children of God, but the children of the promise are regarded as descendants. 9 For this is the word of promise: "AT THIS TIME I WILL COME, AND SARAH SHALL HAVE A SON." 10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac; 11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would stand, not because of works but because of Him who calls, 12 it was said to her, "THE OLDER WILL SERVE THE YOUNGER." 13 Just as it is written, "JACOB I LOVED, BUT ESAU I HATED’ (Romans 9:6-13).”

            One of the reasons they believed this falsehood was because of the covenant of circumcision, for once again physical circumcision means nothing for salvation, but the circumcision of the heart is what is needed, for that happens when a person is saved.

            Now the actions of these people showed that they were only physical descendants of Abraham, and not spiritual descendants, and as we looked at Romans chapter nine, and this truth goes on through chapter twelve we see that not only the heart of Jesus was broken, but so was Paul’s in so much as he wrote “1 I am telling the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience testifies with me in the Holy Spirit, 2 that I have great sorrow and unceasing grief in my heart. 3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed, separated from Christ for the sake of my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh, 4 who are Israelites, to whom belongs the adoption as sons, and the glory and the covenants and the giving of the Law and the temple service and the promises, 5 whose are the fathers, and from whom is the Christ according to the flesh, who is over all, God blessed forever. Amen.”  Steven in Acts chapter seven felt the same way as he said right before the Jews killed him “Then falling on his knees, he cried out with a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them!" Having said this, he fell asleep.”  Of course he must have heard these very same words from the mouth of Jesus as He died on the cross and said “Father forgive them for they know not what they do.”

            MacArthur writes as he concludes this section and comments on verse 38:  “The Lord continued by explaining the logical implication of their hard-heartedness:  ‘I speak the things which I have seen with My Father; therefore you also do the things which you heard from your father.’  Jesus spoke to them of heavenly realities, of the divine truth that He also could reveal because He heard it from the Father…But they rejected Jesus’ words and instead did ‘the things which’ they ‘heard from’ their ‘father.’  In the same way that Jesus’ conduct proved His Father was God, the conduct of Jesus’ enemies proved that their father was not God—but was actually the devil (cf. v. 44).

            “Thus they did not truly know Him, nor did they understand the words that He spoke.  And because they did not know Him, they did not know His Father either.  As He had earlier told them, ‘You know neither Me nor My Father; if you knew Me, you would know My Father also’ (8:19).”

            Yesterday our Pastor, who was led by the Spirit of God not to give a Father’s Day Message, instead spoke about the killings that went on in Orlando.  In his sermon one of the things that he said that the blame for the deaths of those 49 people could be blamed on Satan, and those, even though they do not know it, are children of Satan, similar to what Jesus told these Jews.  Jesus goes on to talk about Satan later on in this chapter when he says “"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies (John 8:44).”  I am thankful for our Pastor and for his message as the truth was told in it.  (www.firstbaptistelyria.org)

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful for the following “But if some of the branches were broken off, and you, being a wild olive, were grafted in among them and became partaker with them of the rich root of the olive tree (Rom. 11:17).” 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I am thankful for the rich spiritual blessings that went on yesterday in our Sunday school class.

Memory verses for the week:  (2 Corinthian 12:9-10, and Psalm 119:27) “9.  And he said ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’ Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast in my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  10. Therefore I am content with weaknesses, with insults, with distresses, with persecutions, with difficulties, for Christ’s sake; for when I am weak, then I am strong.”  Psalm 119:27 “Make me understand the way of Your precepts, So I will meditate on Your wonders.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “That he might be in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin” (Hebrews 4:15).”

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on your right hand, and the other on the left’”

Answer in our next SD.

6/20/2016 10:30 AM

 

           

           

No comments:

Post a Comment