Monday, June 6, 2016

Introduction to John 8:22-30


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/6/2016 8:09 PM

My Worship Time                                                                            Focus:  Intro. To John 8:22-30

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 8:22-30

            Message of the verses:  “22 So the Jews were saying, "Surely He will not kill Himself, will He, since He says, ’Where I am going, you cannot come’?" 23 And He was saying to them, "You are from below, I am from above; you are of this world, I am not of this world. 24 “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins." 25 So they were saying to Him, "Who are You?" Jesus said to them, "What have I been saying to you from the beginning? 26 “I have many things to speak and to judge concerning you, but He who sent Me is true; and the things which I heard from Him, these I speak to the world." 27 They did not realize that He had been speaking to them about the Father. 28 So Jesus said, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me. 29 “And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him." 30 As He spoke these things, many came to believe in Him.”

            As we look at this section from John’s gospel what we are seeing is a missed opportunity.  Think about the first missed opportunity, that being Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden when they fell to what Satan offered them.  Needles to say that was a very bad choice that has affected the entire human race.  I have never thought of something that John MacArthur wrote in his commentary:  “By eating the fruit that God had forbidden, Adam (and Eve) directly violated the Lord’s command.  Adam’s sin cost him (and the entire human race) the privilege of continuing in uninterrupted fellowship with God (Gen. 3:6-8).  As a result, ‘the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken.”  I never thought of it that way that man (Adam) was made from the dirt of the earth had to go and make a living from the very dirt that he was taken from.  Adam means red and I believe that this was the color of the dirt that he was formed from.

            We can go through different portions of Scripture to see of others who had missed opportunity and we will look at a couple more, the next from Numbers 20:7-12 “7 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 8  "Take the rod; and you and your brother Aaron assemble the congregation and speak to the rock before their eyes, that it may yield its water. You shall thus bring forth water for them out of the rock and let the congregation and their beasts drink." 9 So Moses took the rod from before the LORD, just as He had commanded him; 10 and Moses and Aaron gathered the assembly before the rock. And he said to them, "Listen now, you rebels; shall we bring forth water for you out of this rock?" 11 Then Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came forth abundantly, and the congregation and their beasts drank. 12 But the LORD said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you have not believed Me, to treat Me as holy in the sight of the sons of Israel, therefore you shall not bring this assembly into the land which I have given them."

            Judas Iscariot is another one who had a missed opportunity, and perhaps we cans put this one right on par with that of Adam for Judas had the opportunity of walking with the very God who created him for three years but missed the opportunity of realizing who he walked with.

            We bring missed opportunities up because that is what this section is all about, the missed opportunity of these people that Jesus was talking to.  John MacArthur writes “In light of the overwhelming evidence, unbelief in Jesus is inexcusable.  Those who hear the gospel and reject it will be eternally punished—with no one to blame but themselves.  (It should be noted that even those who have not heard the gospel are still culpable for rejecting the truth that they have been given.  Such truth includes aspects of the existence and character of God, as revealed through both the created order [Rom. 1:18-21] and the conscience [Rom. 2:14-15].)  Thus all who reject Jesus Christ are fully responsible for choosing to die in their sins (John 3:19).

            “This passage reveals four ways people can ensure such a tragic and eternal death:  by being self-righteous, worldly, unbelieving, or willfully ignorant.”  We will be looking at this four ways in the next few Spiritual Diaries.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful for not missing the opportunity of receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as my Savior and my Lord, and have a desire to tell those whom the Lord brings onto my path to tell them how they too can receive Him as Savior and Lord.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  As I begin to lead a Sunday school class this coming Lord’s day I trust that the Lord will prepare me to be used by Him and through this class bring honor and glory to His name.

Memory verses for the week:  2 Corinthians 12:7-9 “7. Because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, for this reason, to keep me from exalting myself, there was given me a thorn in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me-to keep me from exalting myself.  8. Concerning this I implored the Lord three times that it might leave me.  9. And He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness,’ most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weakness, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “He has committed adultery in his heart” (Matthew 5:28).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘I hid a hundred men of the Lord’s prophets by fifty in a cave, and fed them with bread and water’?”

Answer in our next SD.

6/6/2016 8:46 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment