Saturday, October 1, 2016

PT-1 The Anguish of Jesus (John 12:27-28a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/1/2016 10:45 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  The Anguish of Jesus

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 12:27-28a

            Message of the verses:  “27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ’Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 “Father, glorify Your name.’”

            The Following is the definition of the Greek word “tarasso” which is translated “has become troubled,” in John 12:27 “1) to agitate, trouble (a thing, by the movement of its parts to and fro)

1a) to cause one inward commotion, take away his calmness of mind, disturb his equanimity

1b) to disquiet, make restless

1c) to stir up

1d) to trouble

1d1) to strike one’s spirit with fear and dread

1e) to render anxious or distressed

1f) to perplex the mind of one by suggesting scruples or doubts

            I think what Jesus is saying here is that I know that I came to planet earth for a specific purpose, that is to become sin, to die on the cross so that others can receive forgiveness, to separated from my Father for those three hours on the cross while My Father pours out His wrath on me for those who will accept my forgiveness, but not that the time is near my soul has become troubled over the prospect of doing all of these things.  To say that Jesus had a lot on His plate at this time would be probably the grossest understatement of all time.  Remember what Hebrews 12:2 says? “fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” 

            I mentioned in an earlier SD about what Jesus endured in the Garden of Gethsemane, and how He sweat great drops of blood and was in agony over going to the cross as we see here in verse 27.  A number of years ago I was thinking about passages like John 12:27 and the passage in the gospel of Luke which describe the agony that Jesus was going through and I asked myself was it possible for Jesus to become stressful?  Then I began to think about Philippians 4:6-7 which says “6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  I then thought that this is exactly what Jesus did while in the garden contemplating what He was going to do.  I asked my pastor if he though Jesus ever was anxious and at first he did not think so, and even asked his wife after I explained my thoughts to him and he agreed that with me that Jesus was anxious at this point while in the garden.  What we see in verse 27 is a prelude to what will happen in the garden as Jesus becomes troubled here.

            John MacArthur writes the following about the word tarasso:  “It is a strong word, used figuratively to speak of severe mental of spiritual agitation; of being disturbed, upset, unsettled, or horrified (cf. Matt. 2:3; 14:26; Luke 1:12, 24:38; John 11:33; 12:21; 14:1, 27; Acts 15:24).  The perfect tense of the verb suggests that this was an ongoing struggle for the sinless Savior, as He recoiled in revulsion from the implications of bearing divine judgment for sin (2 Cor. 5:21; 1 Peter 2:24).” 

            MacArthur quotes F. F. Bruce about Jesus not going to the cross detached, indifferent, without feeling:  “The Johannine, Jesus is no docetic actor in a drama, about to play a part which he can contemplate dispassionately because it does not really involve Himself.”  The following definition will help us understand the word docetic “the doctrine, important in Gnosticism, that Christ's body was not human but either a phantasm or of real but celestial substance, and that therefore his sufferings were only apparent.”  Let us look at Hebrews 5:7 “In the days of His flesh, He offered up both prayers and supplications with loud crying and tears to the One able to save Him from death, and He was heard because of His piety.”   Piety’s definition:  “reverence toward God, godly fear, piety.” 

 

            We will finish looking at this section in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Jesus was a man’s man, the ultimate man and I don’t suppose that many people think of Him in that way, but when I think about what it was that He went through for me, and for all who have come to know Him as Savior and Lord, I have to conclude that about Him.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the One who came to earth to pay for my sins, the One who loves me more than I can understand, trust Him to see me through each and every day.

 

Memory verses for the week:  (Romans 6:13) “13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God.”

 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Gadarenes” (Mark 5:1-9).

 

Today’s Bible question:  “Name a woman who sold purple goods.”

 

Answer in our next SD.

 

10/1/2016 11:33 AM

 

 

 

 

 

 

                       

No comments:

Post a Comment