Sunday, October 2, 2016

PT-2 "The Anguish of Jesus" (John 12:27-28a).


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/2/2016 9:14 PM

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  PT-2 “The Anguish of Jesus”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  John 12:27-28a

            Message of the verses:  “27 "Now My soul has become troubled; and what shall I say, ’Father, save Me from this hour’? But for this purpose I came to this hour. 28 “Father, glorify Your name.’”

            Now as we look how verse 27 is punctuated with a question after the word hour and a coma after the word say, we read the following comment from Andreas J. Kostenberger where he states “It seems better, however, to adopt the   NASB punctuation and view the two phrases as expressing one hypothetical thought.”   We see the same thing here as in Gethsemane as we mentioned before that Jesus, in His humanity agonized over the unjust, cruel, shameful death that was about to come upon Him.  Now in John 10 17-18 we read “17 "For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 “No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.’”  Jesus knew why He came and knew everything He was to do all of the days of His live on earth, but as stated the main reason for Him to come is to become sin for us “He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, so that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Cor. 5:21).  However that did not make it any easier on Him but that does not seem to matter as He states to His Father that it was not what He wanted to do, not His will, but the will of the Father who sent Him.

            Jesus was not going to deviate from what God wanted Him to do as we read “But for this purpose I came to this hour.”  Now next we read and lastly in this SD we read “Father, glorify Your name.”  Now only was this what Jesus wanted to do throughout His time on earth, but this is what we who are believers in Jesus Christ should do.  This is the first thing that we are to do once we become a believer in Jesus Christ for salvation, and just by becoming a believer we do bring glory to God.  In John chapter seventeen which is what is commonly called the “High Priestly Prayer” we see the following “1 Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, "Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I want to be like Jesus in giving glory to the Father and to the Son, and that this would be accomplished through the work of the Holy Spirit in my life.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord big time, to intervene with our project that we have going on so that it will be done to His honor and glory.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Lydia” (Acts 16:14).

Today’s Bible question:  “What can be defined as ‘A story of some natural event or condition which can be made to have a definite spiritual application?’”

Answer in our next SD.

10/2/2016 9:36 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment